Carbonation (Keg)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilvaRizla

Reaction score
Hello,

Still enjoying my first brew, although I added about 200g of priming sugar which seems to be too much as it is over-carbonated.

Is there a guide on how much priming sugar to add based on the temperature of the place it is being stored?

Thanks

Silva

So are you putting priming sugar in your beer and then putting it into a keg? If you are, are you using any gas to force the beer out of the keg?

No, no gas is needed as its a 1-stage fermentation so is carbonating (a bit too much atm) and clearing in the keg

SilvaRizla said:
No, no gas is needed as its a 1-stage fermentation so is carbonating (a bit too much atm) and clearing in the keg
Just to clarify: You aren't talking about Corny Kegs, right?

To what quantity of beer did you add the 200g of priming sugar?

if you're doing a single ferment in the king keg, you don't need priming sugar, the fermentation co2 will provide plenty of co2. priming sugar is added to more-or-less flat beer to give you some CO2. you can release the pressure in the keg somewhat by pulling on the brown rubber band around the valve on the lid, theres a hole under there somewhere to let the excess pressure out.
i found i get a lot better tasting beer by doing a ferment out of the keg, and then transferring to the keg - this time you do need to add priming sugar, as the co2 from fermentation escapes in this case. in this way you get the beer off any dead yeast cells, which is good as it'll be sitting in the keg for a while on dead cells otherwise . i have even done a ferment in the keg, racked it to a fermenter for secondary, then back to the keg for conditioning. this is tasting very nice, and will be produced at a bbq saturday week. i also added a sachet of creamy head from ritchies.
hope this helps
ken

I don't ferment in the keg, I do what you do

I fermented 40 pints in a bucket, transfered to a Keg, added 200g of priming sugar and 10 tsp of finings and let it clear for a couple of weeks. It is now over-carbed and too sweet, how much priming sugar should I be adding as 200g is too much

200 gms is about what i use.... maybe it hadn't finished fermenting?? i never used finings though, so i dunno if that has an impact.
release the pressure a bit.
k

Back