Carbonation issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smbpoole

Reaction score
Two weeks ago I racked a coffee porter stout. Added priming sugar mixed well. I bottled 5 22oz bottles and keyed the rest. The keg and bottles where left in a room that stays between 68 and70 degrees. After the previously mentioned 2 weeks I taped the keg and got a flat as water pour. I checked one of the bottles and it had very little carbonation. When I poured it out the beer had tiny bubbles, like champagne. Did I do something wrong? Can I salvage this batch? Any help would be appreciated.

Did you naturally carbonate? Or force carb?

If it was naturally carbonated did you set the seal on the keg by adding a few PSI CO2 to it?

My experience with stout's is that they take longer to condition than less heavy beers. Relax, be patient, & good beer will follow. I've never primed a keg with sugar, only with CO2, but I would think that it would take as long or longer to prime a keg with heavy beer as it does in the bottles.

Cranny04 said:
Did you naturally carbonate? Or force carb?

If it was naturally carbonated did you set the seal on the keg by adding a few PSI CO2 to it?

I tried a natural carbonation but I did not add any CO2 until I tried tapping it last Thursday. I have since given it about 10lbs, taken it out of the frig and given it a shake. I wasn't worried about the seals since it was the first batch on a reconditioned ball lock keg. Did I drop the ball by not giving it a blast of CO?

My kegs don't really seal until I hit about 5 PSI... If I put less than that on them and Test for a leak it's almost always leaking around the lid...

But if your having a problem with the bottles too it may not be the problem..

I tried a natural carbonation but I did not add any CO2 until I tried tapping it last Thursday. I have since given it about 10lbs, taken it out of the frig and given it a shake. I wasn't worried about the seals since it was the first batch on a reconditioned ball lock keg. Did I drop the ball by not giving it a blast of CO?

Possibly, but as long as it didnt spoil, you should be fine. If you are worried about spoiling (I dont think you should be, not holding pressure is not anywhere near as bad as being exposed) you could add campden tablets to kill off any nasties.

I just got my kegs, and so something I did when I first cleaned them was wiped them dry, then set them upside down (no C02) to see if they would leak. I had put the lid on as tight as I could with lubricant, and I still had just a tiny bit of a moisture come out. I hit it with some C02 and repeated, nothing. I barely had any pressure on it, it was 5-6lbs if I recall. Something else I observed was if I hit it with a higher pressure, say 25psi, then let the pressure out it would still seal. When I tried that with low pressure, not so much. So, some food for thought.

Latest posts

Back