Carbonating with Peach Nectar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkymonkey

Reaction score
Hey All,

So I'm about to start fermenting a 5 gallon batch of cider with cider I bought from shop rite. Only 20 bucks! .I plan on using peach nectar as priming sugar for a little carbonation, and I also plan on pasteurizing with the stove top method. What I'm worried about is if the nectar is enough to keep carbonation after doing about a 2 week fermentation. Its a 33oz bottle of nectar. Any insight on this or experience? I'm looking for a little peach taste

If the bottle has a label, it should list the amount of sugar. You should be able to do the math and figure out how much to use to avoid bottle bombs and get the amount of carbonation you're looking for. J.P.'s 'How to Brew' has a table which you can use to help figure it out.
Now, as far as the pasteurization goes, bottle one in a plastic soda bottle. When it is turgid, your carbonation level is good, and that's the time to do the pasteurization.
By the way, the stove-top method works well, but is a bit of a pain in the butt. The cooler method works, and is a heck of a lot easier.

Back