carbonating St. Bernardus clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arbe0

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Using a recipe from Candi syrup web site for St Bernardus 12. Almost done have tried to follow the recipe as close as I can, right now at 40 F for the past 6 weeks. It is sitting in a keg (with minimal C02 on it so it won't carbonate) was thinking of using the instructions from the web site " Prime with 31g/gal Simplicity Candi Syrup and re-pitch 350ml Westmalle stir-plate. Bottle re-ferment for 14 days at 74F. Cellar for 12 months. " But am wondering if I would be missing anything from the flavor of the beer if I just force carbonate it in the keg.
I dont normally like to take short cuts when brewing beer but have never used yeast to carbonate and always carbonated in the keg or just bottle condtioned with corn sugar, just was wondering of the effects of skipping the bottle carbonating with the yeast.

We did one of those and put it in a barrel for 8 mos. I kegged mine with 6 oz of REAL maple syrup and 3 grams of rehydrated CBC yeast,set the keg to 12 psi for 3 days then put in 70* area for 3 weeks. It was ready but I kept it in the cellar for a black friday release. Don't remember how long that was but it was Deeelicious.

oh jez that sounds delicious. I won't be putting mine in a barrel ( don't have one) but if this one works out there is a possibility of adding oak chips next time. I just hope mine comes out good.
Hottpeper, did you use the Candi syrup recipe, and what water profile did you use? The water profile I used seems to have worked out nice.
Calcium magnesium sodium sulfate chloride Bicarbonate

93 7.4 59 71 72 203

Yes it's the Candi recipe. i subbed in the dark Belgian candy sugar(rock) for the caramelized beet sugar. and I put the D180 in the fermenter after high K. I used RO water with .5 g CaSO4 and .5 g CaCl2 in mash and boil,with a mash pH of 5.3. What was your pH? With that much Bicarb I would think it was below 5.0.

looks like my PH was 5.52 at sparge. I had never done this recipe before so i made a 3 gallon batch. 1.3 oz of D180 and 6.2 oz of candy sugar (rock candy) at end of boil.
calcium magnisium sodium sulfate Chloride Bicarbonate
49.4.. 6 ... 45.8 ... 72.8 ... . 61.3...... 112
it is done and tasts great. dried fruite, coffee, cherries, a hint of caramel, yeast and candi syrup came out very nice and ballanced along with hop. Is still young but i did share it with Brew club buddies and they liked it... will be better and smother as it ages.

Last edited:
Using a recipe from Candi syrup web site for St Bernardus 12. Almost done have tried to follow the recipe as close as I can, right now at 40 F for the past 6 weeks. It is sitting in a keg (with minimal C02 on it so it won't carbonate) was thinking of using the instructions from the web site " Prime with 31g/gal Simplicity Candi Syrup and re-pitch 350ml Westmalle stir-plate. Bottle re-ferment for 14 days at 74F. Cellar for 12 months. " But am wondering if I would be missing anything from the flavor of the beer if I just force carbonate it in the keg.
I dont normally like to take short cuts when brewing beer but have never used yeast to carbonate and always carbonated in the keg or just bottle condtioned with corn sugar, just was wondering of the effects of skipping the bottle carbonating with the yeast.
Adding yeast is the same thing you've been doing, but in this recipe, for some reason they think there isn't enough viable yeast to bottle condition, in Belgium nearly any brewery dors re yeasting because they usually split the yeast from the beer, usually through centrifugation, I do it when I use gelatin in the beer to clarify it, as most of the yeast will go down to the cake

What I don't see is why they ask for the Westmalle strain, St Bernardus is done with the old Westvleteren yeast and Westvleteren is done with Westmalle yeast

IMO you should re-yeast with whatever you used in primary or with a neutral bottling yeast

Next question on this: I was trying to figure out how much yeast to use for bottling this I do have a fresh packet of WLP530 but the instructions also say I should use a 350ml yeast starter for 5 gallons for 2.5 gallons looks like I will need to make a 1.5 L yeast starter so do I need that much to bottle carbonate this. I have 2.5 gallons so when I figured this out it looks like I need 77.5 grams (2.7 oz) of simplicity candi syrup mixed in 38.5 grams (1.37 oz) of water with a 1.5 L yeast starter, sounds like a lot of yeast.

Next question on this: I was trying to figure out how much yeast to use for bottling this I do have a fresh packet of WLP530 but the instructions also say I should use a 350ml yeast starter for 5 gallons for 2.5 gallons looks like I will need to make a 1.5 L yeast starter so do I need that much to bottle carbonate this. I have 2.5 gallons so when I figured this out it looks like I need 77.5 grams (2.7 oz) of simplicity candi syrup mixed in 38.5 grams (1.37 oz) of water with a 1.5 L yeast starter, sounds like a lot of yeast.

As a rule of thumb, you need for carbonation and conditioning, 1/10th of the yeast you pitched originally

Original pitch rate was 250 billion cells (2.5 gallon batch), Captain brew pitch rate calculator says I have 90 billion from my yeast packet. Should I just pitch the pack of yeast in with the simplicity candi syrup and not worry about anything else?

Original pitch rate was 250 billion cells (2.5 gallon batch), Captain brew pitch rate calculator says I have 90 billion from my yeast packet. Should I just pitch the pack of yeast in with the simplicity candi syrup and not worry about anything else?
You need 25 billion cells, I'm not sure if overpitching has any effect on it, I usually pitch more than needed as I do pretty small batches and I can't weight that small quantities, so I assume it's ok to overpitch as I haven't noticed anything weird

Although you need to take into account that the syrup will take longer to ferment that dextrose so you may find the bottles a bit low on carbonation when you usually find them ready

Although you need to take into account that the syrup will take longer to ferment that dextrose so you may find the bottles a bit low on carbonation when you usually find them ready
Why should it take longer? The syrup is just a mixture of glucose and fructose which are both simple sugars.

Back