Carbonating lager question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reject86

Reaction score
Right guys what I want to do is transfer my lager from the bucket into a pressure barrel, I want to be able to pour myself a pint of lager at any time and for it to be (fizzy) as it comes from a pump in a pub or a freshly opened can/bottle.

Is there anything special I need to buy or anything I have to do to do this. Thanks

Sent from my scootay mofo using Home Brew

I guess I'm not familiar with pressure barrels? You would still need to add sugar and naturally carbonate or have a tank of C02 to carbonate as if you kegged it.

Do I still need to add sugar if using a co2 system?

If you have a CO2 cylinder and a "pressure barrel" (this isn't something we have in the US or at least we don't call it that... but I am going to assume it's similar to a keg) then you don't need to add priming sugar.

Fill the keg and purge the headspace with CO2, chill it to fridge temp, connect the CO2 and do one of the following:

1) "set-and-forget" carbonate - put your regulator at 12-16 PSI (for 38 F) depending on desired carbonation level, and leave it for a couple weeks.
2) "quick carbonate" - put your regulator at a higher pressure (opinions vary as to exactly what pressure) and agitate for a little while to dissolve the necessary CO2; then set it to 12-16 PSI overnight. Should be good to go after that.

Thanks for your help exactly what I was looking for!! And yes it's a keg lol ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394575976.665169.jpg

Wow, that is an interesting piece of kit. That guy holds pressure?

Usually something that is going to hold beer-related pressures seals from the inside (that is, the pressure trying to get out is pushing against something that, when pushed on, only further seals the vessel). I am actually a bit incredulous that an external, threaded cap like that will hold the necessary pressure. But, I'm sure they wouldn't sell it if it didn't work, so - neat! I'm glad to see something I haven't seen before.

Do you dispense from that barrel as well?

Rated at 60psi so fine for the pressures were talking about and yes the system inside forces the "beer" to the tap at the top of the keg, allowing minimal residue/sediment to be transferred from the bottom of the keg. Here they retail at about £55 so make them the best option for us Brits.

Sweet! What is that, 20 liters? Or is it litres?

Also, out of curiosity, do you use PSI or bar (or atm) in the UK? I know you use an interesting blend of imperial and metric... so which pressures do you use?

Either way, you want to get the beer cold, like as close to 0*C as you can get without freezing it, while it's still in the fermenter. Leave it at that temp for a few days. This will help the crud settle to the bottom before you rack it to your pressure barrel. Then let it come up to serving temp (I hear you Brits like your beer pretty warm, so whatever the case may be...). Then consult a force carbonation chart to see what pressure to set your regulator to based on the temperature and the desired volumes of CO2 (this is related to the beer style, though it's not clear to me exactly what "volumes" means given the variability of gas volume with respect to temperature). Google "force carbonation chart" to find this info.

"Set-and-forget" is typically the recommended method because it is essentially impossible to overcarbonate using this method. After a couple weeks at the "set-and-forget" pressure you'll be ready to serve the beer out of your crazy British doohickey's tap. If you opt to quick-carbonate at a higher pressure with agitation, it's still usually best to let it sit at serving pressure overnight afterwards to let the beer fully absorb all the CO2 you've jammed in.

The kegs capacity is 25 litres / 40 pints, we do use "litres" but when down to alcohol it's always pints. We have been using psi for as long as I car remember and it's only over the las 7-8 years that BAR has become popular, our car/bike tyre inflation units are now BAR. I personally still use psi.

And your right our cask ales and bitters are usually served at around room temperature or slightly chilled from our local pubs, although now more and more of the bigger breweries are producing "extra cold" versions.

Our lager is served colder at around 15-16 deg c, how does this compare to yours?

Also I think I will be going width set and forget as I don't mind waiting a few more weeks. Thanks

The kegs capacity is 25 litres / 40 pints, we do use "litres" but when down to alcohol it's always pints. We have been using psi for as long as I car remember and it's only over the las 7-8 years that BAR has become popular, our car/bike tyre inflation units are now BAR. I personally still use psi.

And your right our cask ales and bitters are usually served at around room temperature or slightly chilled from our local pubs, although now more and more of the bigger breweries are producing "extra cold" versions.

Our lager is served colder at around 15-16 deg c, how does this compare to yours?

Also I think I will be going width set and forget as I don't mind waiting a few more weeks. Thanks

Ha...our "lagers" are served at 40* F in a frozen glass.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I'd love to have a pint from a frozen glass lol we don't have them but we do have extra cold lagers served at 5-6 deg c I think it's down to personal preference, I prefer extra cold when I can get it but a lot of the lads I drink with go for the standard. There's no difference in price.

I'd love to have a pint from a frozen glass lol we don't have them but we do have extra cold lagers served at 5-6 deg c I think it's down to personal preference, I prefer extra cold when I can get it but a lot of the lads I drink with go for the standard. There's no difference in price.

Ice-cold is generally viewed as bad among craft brew aficionados. It impairs the taste.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back