Carbonating Cap on Growler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travel_mon

Reaction score
Greetings.

Anyone ever make and use a growler carbonating cap? If so, any issues?

I'm thinking about making one so I can keep my beer a bit longer than 24 hrs, even at 24 it's not the same. I'm looking for something a bit longer, yet I'm not looking to store.

Cheers.
Travel Mon

I'd recommend carbonating the beer in a 2 liter bottle first with a normal carb cap, then gently pouring it into the growler. Seal the growler, and it should hold ok. Maybe even try slightly overcarbing it if you have problems with the carbonation holding.

If you are really ambitious, you can certainly try adding a carbonation cap to a growler. People on the board, in the past, have attached tire air valves to 2 liter bottle caps and attached a normal air chuck to their CO2 line. You could try something similar with a growler.

Hey Bsay,

Thanks for the tips! I'm looking at the growlers I feel at my local breweries, that I want to use the carbonating cap with, not my actual homebrew for once.

Cheers.

In my experience, growlers filled from local breweries have lasted me several months (unopened) are you asking about re-carbing an opened growler? If that's the case, you can always get a mini keg system of sorts, or add priming sugar + yeast and bottle it....that would be an interesting experiment....

Back