carbonating an 8.8% barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ethangray19

Reaction score
Can I prime as usual or no. I read in the latest BYO to not prime and just hope it carbs on its own???????

I haven't read it yet, are you POSITIVE it said not to prime...or not to add more yeast???

I can understand them saying no more yeast is necessary, but not priming...though thereotically and even confirmed by running numbers in beersmith, a beer can be carbed without adding any more sugar, but it would take a long time for the co2 to max the headspace and then re-absorb into the solution. Hmmm maybe that is where they are coming from...if you are bottle conditioning for a year or more, maybe they figure you don't need the extra sugar...

From experience, I'd say roll with anywhere from 3 to 3.5 grams corn sugar for a barleywine. That will give you roughly 1.9-2.1 volumes out the door. If you age for an extended period, it won't go above about 2.3-2.4 volumes.

On the low end of that spectrum (ie: ~1.9 volumes), don't expect an incredible head...but in a barleywine that's not really what you're looking for anyhow.

I am assuming 3-3.5 grams of corn sugar per 12oz beer??? Correct??:rockin:
Thanks

Sorry 'bout that...I was measuring out some hops when I posted and must have gotten my units of measure confused. 3-3.5 ounces per batch.

:drunk: Big duh on my part.

Glad you asked :mug:

Back