Carbonated water and Campden tablets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasGuy

Reaction score
Are campden tablets a good addition to tapwater if I’m just setting up a keg of just carbonated water?

Could be... Good for removing the chlorine and/or chloramines that water supplies typically add...
1 tablet is good for 20 gallons (if I recall correctly) when treating for chlorine... and *should* be below your taste perception level...

Without the beer to absorb and react to it, I was curious if I’d notice other than losing the chlorine.

Do you think it needs to off gas?

I wonder if it’s okay to put it directly in the keg, hot (boiled to sterilize) with a spunding valve to let the pressure drop as the steam is trying to escape.

Might need to off-gas... Not sure...

Make a 1 gal test batch with 1/4 of a tablet... If you can't taste it there, the 1 tab for a 5 gal keg should be even less

I wonder if it’s okay to put it directly in the keg, hot (boiled to sterilize) with a spunding valve to let the pressure drop as the steam is trying to escape.

I have no clue about cooling in the keg.... Kegs can hold pressure, but as the contents cool, the air in the headspace will contract, so pressure will be lower inside than out... Dunno how kegs stand up to vacuum...

edit to add:

This thread implies that filling the keg hot, and allowing to cool will work:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/no-chill-in-corny.255577/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back