Carbonate keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stull0331

Reaction score
I've always carbonated my kegs by force as well as over time... Has anyone ever carbonated their kegs with corn sugar? And if so, has anyone noticed any difference in the two methods?
I want to try carbonating my kegs with corn sugar so I don't have to keep my CO2 canister on at all times. but I also want to condition the kegs at different temperatures. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I've carbonated using whatever I normally use ( Malt or maple syrup ) to carbonate in the bottle, just a little less. For a 5 gallon keg, I was told to use about 3/4 a cup of malt sugar, not sure of the corn sugar equivalent.

It worked pretty well for me, I used to do it for 2 weeks at the same temp as fermentation and, while it wasn't as carbonated as a force carb, it was pretty close. I stopped doing it because I got lazy and wanted to drink the beer sooner :)

Back