Carbing with Sodastream?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGCUNN60

Reaction score
Has anyone tried carbing their beer with a Sodastream machine? Since I have the curiosity of a little kid I'm sure I will be attempting this.

Generally, it foams like crazy.

If you're really patient and feel like wasting a bunch of time on one bottle, you may have some success by giving it one shot at a time, waiting between shots of CO2, then uncapping VERY slowly.

Yes, it can be done. It's not really a good idea.

One of about 10 threads on the subject:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sodastream-256109/

Sodastreams are meant to carb water.

You're not even supposed to carb water that has the soda stream flavoring packets already added.

I tried recarbing flat soda with my SWMBO's Sodastream that I bought her for Christmas. It makes a huge mess.

It has to do with nucleation points and the resulting effects I think. You can certainly carb things other than water with a soda stream, it's just that it has to be really cold, and you might get foaming/spraying, and that the nozzle may become clogged by residue (sugar) and that using it invalidates the warranty, etc etc etc.

Carbing beer with sodastream, or even a carbonator cap, is usually only done for a brief test during bottling, or prior to kegging to see what it tastes like (and even for kegging, the carbonation period can be so brief that its not worth doing).

Latest posts

Back