Carbing seltzer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cider123

Reaction score
With the help of some fine folks here I got my seltzer tap going.

Good thing I did some reading because I was planning on running my seltzer through my chrome plated Perlicks. I didn't realize that the chrome had been wearing off over the years and I would had been leaching brass in my seltzer.

So I bought some new Perlick 650 SS taps and now have all SS through the keg, shank and tap. I carbed at 30 psi and after 3 days had excellent seltzer at the fizz level we like.

My question is do I need to leave the tank pressure set at 30 psi in order to maintain that carb level? or can I back it down to the usual 10 psi serving pressure without affecting the carbonation?

The 650SS tap is adjustable, but when I set it to a reasonable pour level there is still so much pressure behind the tap that it "pops" when you start pouring.

Thanks

Yes, to keep the carb level the same it needs to be at the same pressure. For highly carbed things, I need more serving line. I use about 25' for soda, or about 1' for every 1 psi on the regulator (assuming it's cold, fridge temps). I had my soda at 25 psi, but it could have been higher. I got a semi-rigid beverage line from McMaster-Carr that curled up nicely around the top of the keg.

Thanks Yooper.

Can I ask, what is the benefit of the extra long serving line?

I run mine at 25 to 30 with 10' line and a picnic tap. Works we'll, we drink a bunch of it and certainly hits the spot with my VO :)

Thanks again. I'll leave it at 30 psi.

This works great! I wish I could make beer this easy.

Just ordered a 20 gallon Co2 tank.

Another question,

Do you tend to use CO2 much faster when you leave it at 30 psi vs the usual 8-10 psi for beer serving pressure?

I understand the setting is higher and thus more CO2 is used. What I mean is over the course of one week I have watched my regulator tank gauge drop 20 psi (5 gallon tank) and I'm only pouring 3-4 glasses of soda per day.

No I don't think so. Once the keg is carbed, there should not be a big continuous usage. I would check for leaks. You also just may have been at that point where the pressures started to drop.

Back