Carbing a Keg Without CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

INWarner413

Reaction score
I brewed a Rauchbier that will be ready to move out of the fermenter on Saturday. I am going to keg for the first time. However, I only have the keg itself. It's going to take me a couple of weeks to get the other stuff I need, like the CO2 tank, regulator, hoses, etc.

1. How do I carbonate the keg without all the other equipment? Is it as simple as using the priming sugar like the keg is one gigantic bottle?

2. What about once I get the CO2 equipment - what pressure do I set the keg to, and for how long to get the Rauchbier to it's proper level of carbing?

1. Yes - you're exactly right, although I believe with a keg, you need slightly less priming sugar. Do a few searches on here and you'll find a good reference point to use.

2. Most of this is up to you, but this will help: http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php - now, there are a couple factors to consider here: what temperature you want to serve the beer at, what level of carbonation in volumes, and how long your beer lines are going to be. If you can get 10 ft. beer lines, it's a good idea - because you can always cut them shorter if need be. Balancing a draft system can be done a few different ways, and there are as many differences in serving preference as there are individual kegerators out there. Here's my method:

I generally like to serve my beers @ around 45 degrees & I don't mind if they warm a little as I'm enjoying them. I don't like overcarbonated beers either. So, I typically have my kegerator running between 41-43 degrees and I'll let a new keg sit there for a little while to cool to that temperature. I set my regulator at 12 psi. So, if you look where 12 psi and 42 degrees intersect on the chart above, that would be 2.39 volumes - which is right in the middle of the "most ales" carbonation level (guidelines are @ the bottom). I think this would work well for your Rauchbier. The line length comes into play when you are pouring. As you increase that psi setting, beer will flow through your lines faster. If your lines are too short, the beer will hit the glass w/ too much speed and you can have a violent pour that gets too foamy on you. If you set your psi really low, the beer will slowly pour through the lines and you may have trouble getting a proper head on your pint (that's been my experience, anyway).

You will find a lot of people here that want to carbonate much, much quicker than I do - and that's ok, just not my style. You can blast it with more pressure and shake it like crazy and do all kinds of stuff to get that CO2 to diffuse into the liquid, or you can employ the "set it and forget it" method as I do. To be honest, my way requires a little more patience, but as long as you've got good beer on hand while you're waiting - it shouldn't be too painful.

Hopefully this helps & good luck with your beer!

Burgs is right on the money with his advice. The only concern I have with using priming sugar is that the keg must be able to hold a good lid seal. A lot of brewers have problems with this part of the process. If you can get a good seal without a co² tank you will be good to go. You already know this - but - while you are carbing this way, you must keep the keg at room temps for the yeast to do its job. Just like bottling.

I think for a keg it is about 1/3 cup of sugar. Bear in mind the caution about pressuring up the keg to keep it sealed. If it is not sealed, the CO2 that is produced by your priming sugar will keep leaking out, the beer will not get carbonated and it might even allow in some bad thingies.

B

Thanks, y'all! I'm probably going to go with Burgs' "set it and forget it" method. If I have the patience for an Imperial Stout to bottle age, I'll have the patience for the Rauchbier to carbonate.

Back