Carb vs Bottle Size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikepkes

Reaction score
Does the bottle size change the rate of carbonation for bottle conditioning?

I know from the famous post that I need more time, but I'm considering giving some bottles as Christmas gifts and this is what I experienced

I bottled my Trippel (OG around 1.092) about 3-4 weeks ago and opened a small bottle and a large bottle within two days of each other. The small was first and had plenty of carbonation.. It was one of the first bottles bottled in the batch, whereas the 22oz larger bottle had barely anything.

Is carbonation dependent on bottle size, would beginning vs end of batch be a bigger deal (for priming sugar consideration) or am I probably just dealing with the randomness of live things and just have to wait for that whole thing to process, dwrhah, etc.

BTW, I'm not worrying or freaking out, just curious about the factors so I can learn; I've been kegging since after my 2nd batch due to a score on Craigslist so I haven't had to be nearly as patient.

Head room will effect carbonation, so if you're leaving more head room due to the larger bottle size then you'll see a difference. Basically the less head room there is the less carbon dioxide needs to be generated to reach carbing pressures.

+1 on bigger bottles needing more time. I have no idea why but my small bottles have always carbed faster than the bombers.

Back