carapils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ster

Reaction score
I see it as a steeping grain in extracts kits. Yet one of my books says that it must be mashed???

Yea carapils is debated allot but I think 70% of the people on here would agree that unless It is mashed then it dosent do anything.

Steep it in water at 152° for 30min or so. Remove grain bag and then bring to boil and continue recipe. Mashing accomplished.

I've gotten carapils in extract with steeping grain kits & it worked well. I use it in partial mash as well,1/2lb is typical. works well even after I started using super moss the last 10 minutes of the boil.

Briess says it can be steeped.
http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Assets/PDFs_BWB/Briess_Newsletter_2009summer.pdf

Q: How do I use it?
A: Because Carapils® Malt has no enzymes and full
glassiness, it can either be mashed or steeped in hot
water. If steeping, steep at 150º-170º F and make sure to
“dunk” or somehow agitate the grain and water to
improve the extraction. The water may get a little cloudy,
however this will disappear once the wort is boiled. Dark
roasted malts, caramel or crystal malts and Carapils®
Malt (which is neither) can be safely steeped. Beware of
steeping malts with a starchy (mealy) center.

Based on what I thought I knew about carapils, it's a cara/crystal malt of the lightest degree. Created in a similar but different fashion as cara/crystal. However, once the sugar is converted and crystalized, it's just a matter of dissolving into your wort either by steeping or mashing. My understanding is that carapils has more of a "body" effect when it's not mashed, and less so when it's mashed due to enzymatic processes. At least this is how I've understood so far. I rarely use carapils/foam so I'm not overly versed in it's usage or rates; then again, I don't find my been lacking in body or head most times.

Before I got info from Briess, I used the hot-water steep from 1lb carapils in a 5gal batch with Munton's Bitter. I got a lot of mushy-looking material that I was afraid would not clear, but, it did, thank God(Bacchus?). The batch is now ready to bottle, and it is crystal clear. Can't report on the taste, because without the carbonation, it does not taste too great. Stay tuned.

Back