Carapils or dextrin. Really needed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beauvafr

Reaction score
Do I really need Carapils for head/foam and body in a standard recipe? What's your rule of thumb for including or not including dextrin in your recipes ?

That really depends on everything else going into your recipe... you'd really have to post what you intend to make. A lot of factors go into whether or not a beer has foam. I'd recommend listening to this Beersmith Podcast with Charlie Bamforth. He goes deep into the contributory factors to making beer foam.

From my own personal experience, there are times I've used it where it's been beneficial but I usually get sufficient foam without it.

+1, I rarely, if ever, use it anymore. Good process, and a decent base malt and you dont need it.

If you are an extract brewer, there may be an argument for using it more often.

+1, I rarely, if ever, use it anymore. Good process, and a decent base malt and you dont need it.

If you are an extract brewer, there may be an argument for using it more often.

Carapils usually makes up a percentage of extract, though...

I've never used Carapils or Dextrin in any of my recipes. I've had 0 issues with head retention.

I stopped using it awhile back as I simplified all of my recipes and still have good head. On my chewy stouts and porters I'll still do a healthy dosage of various flaked stuff, but on my various pales I don't feel the need. Really struck home after having a good range of SMASH & two-malt beers that were quite complex.

I do use it sometimes for a bump to FG (using a very light SRM) that I don't get through mash temp manipulation.

But never for head retention.

That really depends on everything else going into your recipe... you'd really have to post what you intend to make. A lot of factors go into whether or not a beer has foam. I'd recommend listening to this Beersmith Podcast with Charlie Bamforth. He goes deep into the contributory factors to making beer foam.

From my own personal experience, there are times I've used it where it's been beneficial but I usually get sufficient foam without it.

My base recipe is here :

https://byo.com/stories/issue/item/2228-texas-imperial-brown

Is it ok? Sure. Is it necessary? No.

Whether you include it or not will depend on your willingness to experiment or your overall philosophy on brewing. Good luck.

Back