Caramel cream ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just brewed this yesterday. Wow it smells amazing and checked it this morning and it is just bubbling away. Its a small closet and the smell just burst out at me. Kind of a nice wake up call. Look forward to drinking this after the 123 aging is done.

I've read all 69 pages of this thread and have a question: Should I use pellet hops, whole hops, or a combination of both? May sound trivial to the experienced but I'm pretty green to this :)

i used pellets when i brewed it. but it doesnt matter too much. there is a conversion to use when using pellets instead of whole hops etc but i never use it personally. i say just use pellets and run with it

I made this as an all-grain for holiday gifts. I brought a growler to a party last night. I put it down and walked away to mingle. When I came back for another beer, someone asked me if I made the beer (I had brought bombers of 3 other beers).

I said, "Yes, I made these three bombers and the gr...uh...where's the growler?"

It had been decimated in just a few minutes' time. People were literally raving about it for the rest of the night.

As someone else said earlier in the thread: JUST BREW IT. To me it tastes like cotton candy. I used some really good vanilla and the flavor is fantastic. You're not punched in the face with the vanilla, but caressed lovingly.

-Joe

Is there any substitute for the DME? From all of the rave reviews, I am about to order enough for 10 gallons. The problem for me is biting the bullet and paying $46 for 12 lbs of DME... :drunk:

I just picked up the ingredients this afternoon - gonna brew tomorrow afternoon. Mine is an all-grain version and I changed quite a bit to fit what I think are closer to my tastes (and my wife's). Apologies if something similar has been posted before, but I didn't read all 69 pages ;)

Grains:
5 lb US 2-row
3 lb German Wheat Malt
1 lb Caramel 30-L
.5 lb Cara-pils
.5 lb Corn

Hops:
1 oz. Fuggles 4.3% (60 min)
.25 oz. Goldings 5.0% (30 min)

Other:
Adding 8 oz. of lactose at 5 min
Adding 2 oz. real vanilla extract at 5 min

Mashing:
Single infusion batch-sparge
I'm going to shoot for a mash on the high end, about 156F

Yeast:
White Labs British Ale Yeast
The recommended yeast for this brew isn't available right now...it's a seasonal. But, I like my odds with the British stuff.

Also, I'm tossing in some rice hulls for good measure, given the amount of wheat I'm using.

Any thoughts? Also...any advice on what to brew with the leftover corn and lactose I'll have sitting around (half pound of each)?

-Tim

not to go off topic, but i was wondering if there is some kind of result from adding lactose or vanilla because i took a hydrometer reading from the fermenter and had little gray dots. we tasted it and it tasted fine, the FG was 1.008-1.009. any idea on what this could be? it doesnt seem like an infection because it tasted fine, smelled fine, and the airlock is not bubbling too much. any help would be great!

not to go off topic, but i was wondering if there is some kind of result from adding lactose or vanilla because i took a hydrometer reading from the fermenter and had little gray dots. we tasted it and it tasted fine, the FG was 1.008-1.009. any idea on what this could be? it doesnt seem like an infection because it tasted fine, smelled fine, and the airlock is not bubbling too much. any help would be great!

:off:
Did you brew it in stainless steel. I ask because I have made cheese in a cheap aluminum pot before and have seen the same (little grey/black dots) ?

BTW

I have brewd this recipe so many times I cannot count (I dont use Vanilla cause the wife hates it) and it is AWSOME hands down, just in case you couln't tell by the huge amount of views/replies.

I have found a new love for this and wanted to share it. I will put the recipe up soon for the stout.

BUT What I have been doing is making this recipe here, charging with NO2.
I then fill my glass 25% full
On top of that I put my Java Milk Stout ( CO2)
THEN
on top of that I fill the rest with this Caramel Cream Ale (with NO2)
Man it is awsome.... it really does resemble a Mocha Latte Mmmmmmmmmmmmm
And it lloks cool in the glass when you mix the NO2 charged beer in with the stout, beutiful waterfall in the glass :)

EDIT 2/20/07: Please do not PM me with questions on this recipe. Post them to this thread. I get way too many questions that are already answered within this long thread, so consider reading the entire thing (or using the Search function) prior to posting.

Here's the final recipe that I'm brewing RIGHT NOW.

Malts
3 pounds extra light DME
3 pounds light wheat DME
1 pound Caramel 60L (steeped for 45 minutes at 150'-165')

Hops
1oz Cascade for bittering (60 minutes)
.5oz Saaz for flavor (20 minutes)
.5 oz Tettnang for aroma (end of boil)

Yeast
Wyeast German Ale

Extras
1 tsp Irish Moss (10 minutes)
4oz Lactose @ 15 minutes
2 oz real vanilla extract

Priming
>1cup Lactose
4oz vanilla (Be careful! This may be too much vanilla for some people.)
1.5 cups light DME

I'm adding the Lactose in the last 15 minutes of the boil. I'll add the vanilla in the primary, because I don't want to risk losing any that bonds to the trub. So far, it smells fantastic but I'm still at the bittering hops boil. I think this should end up with a nice caramel flavor and a good hint (perhaps a suggestion size amount) of vanilla. I've had vanillas with way too much flavor and they tasted too much like candy. This should have a decent balance.

Notes: 11/4/05

So good. Can't even explain it - you simply must make this beer. I let it prime for almost 2 weeks before fridging it, then cracked one tonight after only about 30 hours. Great head, good lace, nice color, good body and nose. Pictures won't do it justice, but here's one anyways

cv.jpg

:eek:
Sorry guys. I'm starting to expand away from the extract kits that lead you by the hand and am having trouble with the details here. I did try searching but couldn't come up with the answers. I've got everything ready to go, just need to figure out the details.

How much water are you starting off with? Are you using a keggle, therefore just using the whole 5 gallons? I'm using a large pot on the stove. :(

Do you add the malts with the Caramel?

I am utterly confused with the timing as well. Do you boil the Cascade for 60 minutes, then add the Saaz for 10? Would you toss in the Irish Moss at the same time as the Saaz?

I'm sure 100 other people have asked these questions, I just can't find them!

Since you're brewing on your stove, I'd start out with between 2 and 3 gallons, then top off to 5 at the end using bottled spring water (though, I've topped off with tap water before with no ill effects). There's no hard and fast rule to this, other than the more water you boil the better. It's not worth worrying about too much, just put some in the pot, add ingredients, boil!

Steep the Caramel in appx. 150F water for 45 minutes or so in a straining bag, then remove the grains and add your malt extract. Bring to a boil, toss in the Cascade. Boil for 40 minutes, add the Saaz. Boil for 20 more minutes, flame out, toss in the Tettnang. Throw in the Irish moss with ten or 15 minutes left in the boil. You could add the irish moss at the same time as the lactose. I think I added the vanilla right at the end of the boil.

Don't worry too much, just stick to a process and it'll turn out fine!

FWIW, I used 2 oz of vanilla at the end of the boil. I kegged my version of this last night, and the vanilla aroma was awesome without being overpowering, with just a VERY subtle hint of vanilla flavor. Remember to adjust to your own personal taste :cheers:

Since you're brewing on your stove, I'd start out with between 2 and 3 gallons, then top off to 5 at the end using bottled spring water (though, I've topped off with tap water before with no ill effects). There's no hard and fast rule to this, other than the more water you boil the better. It's not worth worrying about too much, just put some in the pot, add ingredients, boil!

Steep the Caramel in appx. 150F water for 45 minutes or so in a straining bag, then remove the grains and add your malt extract. Bring to a boil, toss in the Cascade. Boil for 40 minutes, add the Saaz. Boil for 20 more minutes, flame out, toss in the Tettnang. Throw in the Irish moss with ten or 15 minutes left in the boil. You could add the irish moss at the same time as the lactose. I think I added the vanilla right at the end of the boil.

Don't worry too much, just stick to a process and it'll turn out fine!

FWIW, I used 2 oz of vanilla at the end of the boil. I kegged my version of this last night, and the vanilla aroma was awesome without being overpowering, with just a VERY subtle hint of vanilla flavor. Remember to adjust to your own personal taste :cheers:

Thank you so much! Time to brew! :mug:

how would you submit this beer to a competition?

21A. spiced? what would the base beer be? a pale ale?

Im confused the bottling part... it calls for the lactose, and vanilla (I guess just put it in your priming bucket before racking beer into it) but what is with the 1.5 cups light DME???? I dont get it? What about the priming sugar? Im totally confused about this part. Ive never heard of adding DME at bottling? Help!!

Im confused the bottling part... it calls for the lactose, and vanilla (I guess just put it in your priming bucket before racking beer into it) but what is with the 1.5 cups light DME???? I dont get it? What about the priming sugar? Im totally confused about this part. Ive never heard of adding DME at bottling? Help!!

To expand on Yuri's post, remember that carbonation is achieved simply by adding additional sugars that the yeast turn into alcohol causing CO2 in the bottle, which is trapped and therefore carbonates the beer.

with that said, you are just adding a different sugar (DME instead of priming sugar). You can use priming sugar in place of it (use your normal amount of priming sugar per gallon).

Lactose is a non fermentable sugar and does not add to carbonation nor can it carbonate the beer.

To expand on Yuri's post, remember that carbonation is achieved simply by adding additional sugars that the yeast turn into alcohol causing CO2 in the bottle, which is trapped and therefore carbonates the beer.

with that said, you are just adding a different sugar (DME instead of priming sugar). You can use priming sugar in place of it (use your normal amount of priming sugar per gallon).

Lactose is a non fermentable sugar and does not add to carbonation nor can it carbonate the beer.

Thank you for explaining... so would there be any different in taste or carb if I used priming sugar instead of the DME? What is the benefit of using DME instead of priming sugar, if any?

i force carbonate my kegs, so dont quote me but i am pretty sure you would not be able to taste a difference. I did my CCA a while back with priming sugar and it was a delicious batch of beer. One of my best beers i ever brewed to be honest.

My only recommendation it to take it easy on the vanilla. I did this a second time and apparently added far too much vanilla. I have no clue how much unfortunately as i cant remember. The best part of kegging is that you can add more to taste.

just made this beer using v1...after a taste during bottling, i think it will be the best i've ever brewed. the vanilla is a strong flavor, but it should mesh with the other flavors during conditioning.

thank you all on this thread for the help!

just read every page and just wanted to give it a bump

...BUMP

also thinking about doing this, I currently have a Stone Bitter Oatmeal Chocolate Stout in the primary. I will probably try this once the stout is about halfway done so I can have another after dinner beer

Wow, can't believe I read this entire thread. Somehow ended up here looking for an oatmeal stout recipe. I'll make the stout first, but this one, soon thereafter!

Man, I love seeing this one pop up every so often.
It is a great recipe-I make it every year.
In fact, I just tapped the keg on this year's batch last night....MMMMM:)

I am a realtive newbie to brewing I read through 26 pages of this post and further reading I think was just getting me more confused. There appeared to be references to several different version of this recipe.

Is this version 1:
Malts
3 pounds extra light DME
3 pounds light wheat DME
1 pound Caramel Caramel 60L (steeped for 45 minutes)

Hops

Yeast
WLP008 East Coast Ale

Extras
1 tsp Irish Moss (15 minutes)
A blend of:
4oz Lactose, disolved in 2 cups of boiled water
2-3 oz real vanilla extract
Added to the secondary and stirred.

I do not like bitterness in my beers. This sounds like jsut what I have been wanting. Is this the correct version or is there a better update to it since?
Thanks guys!

elundgr

well, with 1oz of each of the hops you are only at 20 IBU with a 3.5 Gallon boil and 15 IBU with a 2.5 Gallon boil.

with the one you posted you are looking at 15 IBU with a 3.5 gallong boil and 11 with 2.5 gallon boil.

IMO that is not very much hops at all.

I love cheeses' comment about the 2nd recipe being for hop heads out there...my IPAs I do typically range from 80-110 IBUs so hops are never an issue for me lol

here is a redux of the 2nd recipe
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/hints-sweeter-brew-hint-vanilla-8369/#post82836
post 7

also, pick up beersmith, it will help you with the hops if that is something you are really concerned with. Adjusting the boil, amounts of hops, and other information that will help you dial in the hops/calories/and ABV

Could someone help please?

The recipe calls for Wyeast German ale yeast and my LHBS does not carry it,he carries White Labs.He recommended German Ale/Kolsch (White Labs #WLP029) Would this be ok? I don't know anything about Yeast and would like some advice on what I should use?
Thanks

Could someone help please?

The recipe calls for Wyeast German ale yeast and my LHBS does not carry it,he carries White Labs.He recommended German Ale/Kolsch (White Labs #WLP029) Would this be ok? I don't know anything about Yeast and would like some advice on what I should use?
Thanks

just had to do the same thing...yes that will be fine

Brewed ver.1 last night.
Checked after 12 hours and getting 1 bubble per minute. Can't wait to see this baby take off. :mug:

Hey All -
My OG on this was 1.059. When I went to do the FG at bottling, I accidentally added 3/4 cup corn sugar, 2oz Malt Dextrin, 4oz lactose and the vanilla BEFORE I took the hydro and got a 1.019.

Any thoughts on what it would have been if I took it BEFORE adding those ingredients?

Thanks

Thanks! It's along the lines of what I've been picturing in my head. Here's a recipe the old Cheesebrain has come up with, let me get some reviews:

Malts
3 pounds extra light DME
3 pounds light wheat DME
1 pound Caramel Caramel 60L (steeped for 45 minutes)

Hops

Yeast
WLP008 East Coast Ale

Extras
1 tsp Irish Moss (15 minutes)
A blend of:
4oz Lactose, disolved in 2 cups of boiled water
2-3 oz real vanilla extract
Added to the secondary and stirred.

What do you think? Too much hops? Too much malt? How do you think that yeast will do? I'm torn between a Wit yeast simply because I think the color will make for an impressive presentation, but I don't want the fruity flavors of a Belgian.

Wow! thanks for this recipe! Will surely try this this weekend.:mug::ban::fro:

family matters show

Back