Caramel Apple Hard Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Airlock activity doesn't necessarily mean fermentation is still happening. It could be that fermentation is done, and the CO2 that was in the cider is escaping.
However, that does seem like a lot of activity for this stage in the game. How does it taste?

Also I used fresh apple cider that was uv past. that morning. I know my hydrometer is good cause we did a group buy and everyone's was the same within .001. It did taste good not too bad so I hope it comes out tasting good after all the bottling and addition of backsweetening.

Are you bottle conditioning? If so, back sweetening is not a good idea. The yeast will eat that and create more co2 likely creating bottle bombs unless you pasteurize

I have a question because I plan to keg. I would like to use the recipe in post #1. Do the 2 corn sugar additions need to be altered? Also, just to recap... Keg and cold crash after 24 hours in secondary? Thanks

I've made this cider a couple times now, and finally got around to trying it with a splash of fireball - it's really good! I was thinking of putting some fireball soaked oak chips in the secondary. Has anyone tried this?

I've made this cider a couple times now, and finally got around to trying it with a splash of fireball - it's really good! I was thinking of putting some fireball soaked oak chips in the secondary. Has anyone tried this?

I've never made it with oak chips but I do make it now with: 1/2 cup fire ball and 1/4 cup homemade vanilla extract along with the carmel syrup (sans cinnamon).

Depending on what oak you use it could be an interesting experiment.

That would work.. I'd suggest a 2 birds, one stone approach with force carbing. Not only will you get it carbed and "ready to go" much faster, you'll get everything mixed in really well.

I'm new to kegging too so around 30psi for 24hours? my first batch kegging that is what I did then left it at 12 psi

I'm new to kegging too so around 30psi for 24hours? my first batch kegging that is what I did then left it at 12 psi

You'll get a few different answers and personal experiences. I usually put on at 35 for 48 hours for all my beers and in the keezer I have it set to 12.

But, you'll hear a lot about "how many volumes do you want?" and all that...

It's all about what you want though: light or moderate carbonation. I prefer moderate.

So how long do you guys let this sit before removing form the fementor (weather you are kegging it of bottling) ?

Ok finished my syrup and seems really think once cooled followed the new break down

My experiences so far are to not let it cool too much. I'll leave it for 20 minutes or so and then just dump it in to the bottling bucket and the cider will cool it the rest of the way and also blend/mix much better. If you like it enough, you'll start playin' around with your own process, I'm sure. :tank:

My experiences so far are to not let it cool too much. I'll leave it for 20 minutes or so and then just dump it in to the bottling bucket and the cider will cool it the rest of the way and also blend/mix much better. If you like it enough, you'll start playin' around with your own process, I'm sure. :tank:

See what happens I made it 24hrs early per the new layout lol. I heated the syrup up and got it all on the keg... Didn't realize that I filled the keg 100% up oops it's on c02now will try some tomorrow while doing yard work

D*mn, this stuff is some good hooch. I switched to S-04 on @Maylar 's suggestion to do so for better "shutdown" in the fridge. Doing great so far in the fridge (only a week or so, though) and taste is as good or better than what I've had with the Notty.

:mug:

Just saw an article on how to make caramel without melting the sugar. I'm definitely going to try this instead of the brown sugar for the caramel syrup in my next batch. I wonder if it is worth using some of this instead of the dextrose as well?

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/05/how-to-make-caramel-without-melting-sugar.html

That was a good read! I'm curious then, the implications of "reducing by half" or not when making the carmel syrup. When I use the brown sugar, I'm using the 2 cups of water and simmering that down, mixing with 2x cans of the FAJC, then pitching it into the bottling bucket. I think it'd be really interesting to see what occurs when you use this at the front vs back end and vice versa for sure!

Started a 1g batch on the 2nd at night yeah 4 days ago. I added 1tsp fermax yeast nutrient. It's middle of the day and it looks like it's done fermenting. There are no bubbles on top. I used cider house yeast. Started it with simply apple juice (pressed unfiltered) and added 6oz (by weight) of light brown sugar added to some apple juice and heated to caramelize it some. I then topped it off with my normal white house simply pressed. I know each yeast varies, but damn 3 days to be done with primary seems insane.

Made my first batch with original recipe posted by Upstate Mike using apple juice. Toned everything down accordingly due to doing a 1G batch. Wondering what is the difference from using apple juice versus fresh apple cider from an orchard? Would it require a different yeast? I'm new to the whole home brewing and cider making so haven't dug much into different types of yeast etc.

due to the fact i have a 5 gallon carboy, do the ingredients need to be scaled back? or can i use 5 gallons of apple juice with the same amount of ingredients in a 5 gallon carboy? what about using a 6 gallon plastic fermenting bucket?

due to the fact i have a 5 gallon carboy, do the ingredients need to be scaled back? or can i use 5 gallons of apple juice with the same amount of ingredients in a 5 gallon carboy? what about using a 6 gallon plastic fermenting bucket?

Use the 6 gallon bucket with the ingredients for the 5 gallon batch. You'll be glad you did. Dont' try to use a 5 gallon carboy.

Actually I have a dedicated 5 gal better bottle for my cysers and ciders. I use 4.5 gal of juice. Never had a prob with the Nottingham yeast. No blow off ever needed. I have even used the same strain 3 times in a row without incident. If that's all you have, it will work.

Made original recipe and after 24 hours no activity in air lock so I decided to add some Nutriferm. Took off bubbling as soon as I got the lid and airlock back on! So excited for next two weeks to hurry by so I can try it!

I know it's been about 2 1/2 years since the "rhino fart" has been talked about and this post is rather long. I was wondering if this goes away after awhile? It's day two of fermentation and I have what I believe is the rhino fart smell. I added yeast nutrients as I now see update recipe shows that's suppose to help with this part.

Hey if you're in Rochester check out Mullers Cider House 2nd Saturday every month at 1pm where us cider amateurs (and usually a few commercial makers) show up to sample and talk cider.

I started this on Monday OG 1.065 like in first post and it's the first Saturday and I just checked gravity....1.01!

Has anyone else using Nottingham hit the target in the first week?

I plan on transferring to secondary and letting clear till Tuesday and checking gravity one more time before bottling it.

I started this on Monday OG 1.065 like in first post and it's the first Saturday and I just checked gravity....1.01!

Has anyone else using Nottingham hit the target in the first week?

I plan on transferring to secondary and letting clear till Tuesday and checking gravity one more time before bottling it.

Let it sit in secondary for a while until it clears. Notty can take 1.065 to below 1.000. It makes a nice compact lees that's easy to rack off of.

A week is pretty quick though, I hope you're at or below 65°F because Nottingham can make some nasty fusels if it's too warm.

Has anyone made this without the fajc?..

This stuff can not be found in my city.
I've hit every grocery store in the city.....honestly every single one
Every walmart , any store that carries groceries....it's just not sold here in Canada

Try superstore or loblaws. Superstore here has it

Yup, superstore. Looks like this can or else in rectangular plastic containers.

Screenshot_20161031-115238.jpg

I made my first batch of A/P Cider yesterday. Followed the updated instructions from Mike. How log should i expect the Nottingham yeast to start doing their thing? I've seen no bubbling out of my airlock . I'm a brewer and usually, i see action within 24 hrs. is this the same with cider? i pitched Nottingham and put it in my fermentation chamber (aka chest freezer) set at 62 degrees on the temp controller.

Cider doesn't ferment as aggressively as other things. Patience, Grasshopper. :) Watch your Hydrometer, not the airlock. :) Oh, and be sure your fermenter is airtight, otherwise the CO2 may be taking an easier way out of the fermenter than your airlock

I made my first batch of A/P Cider yesterday. Followed the updated instructions from Mike. How log should i expect the Nottingham yeast to start doing their thing? I've seen no bubbling out of my airlock . I'm a brewer and usually, i see action within 24 hrs. is this the same with cider? i pitched Nottingham and put it in my fermentation chamber (aka chest freezer) set at 62 degrees on the temp controller.

I put up my fall batch for fermentation last Friday. I use English cider yeast, not Nottingham. Checked it Monday morning, no bubbles. However, when I lowered my head into the chest freezer to adjust the heater cord, I nearly passed out from the sulphur fumes. Yup, its working, all right :)

Couple of questions..(Thanks for all the helpful info, i'm kinda a newbie here) i cannot find cinnamon extract here where i live, but found a ton of cinnamon oil. would this work mixing it in with the caramel sauce? or would it float on top of the cider like most other oils and liquid? when should i take a gravity reading? its been a week and my airlock has slowed way down.

Couple of questions..(Thanks for all the helpful info, i'm kinda a newbie here) i cannot find cinnamon extract here where i live, but found a ton of cinnamon oil. would this work mixing it in with the caramel sauce? or would it float on top of the cider like most other oils and liquid? when should i take a gravity reading? its been a week and my airlock has slowed way down.

According to this website

http://www.foodsubs.com/Extracts.html

cinnamon extract*** Substitutes:* cinnamon oil (One part flavoring oil is roughly equivalent to four parts extract, but this may vary according to the products used.* To be safe, begin by substituting 1/8 teaspoon of oil per teaspoon of extract, then add more drops of oil until you're satisfied with the flavor.)

for cooking food. However, the cinnamon flavor is suspended in oil, not alcohol ( as the case for extract). I would be concerned about oil not diffusing through the cider and just floating on the surface. I would try online for extract. If you can't find extract, try tossing a few cinnamon sticks into the fermenter for a few weeks.

I also recently was introduced to fireball whiskey, which has a strong cinnamon flavor. Wonder how that would work as a substitute ? :)

Latest posts

Back