cara / crystal malt in a tripel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

50quidsoundboy

Reaction score
I'm putting together a tripel recipe. It's mostly Dingeman's Pilsen malt, sugar, and wheat malt. I've also got some CaraVienna - would this be an appropriate ingredient? I'm shooting for 1.081 OG and don't want a heavy, cloying or underattenuated beer. Yeast is WLP530 / Wy3787.

Thanks!

Dump the caravienne and keep the 1 pound of sugar to dry out the beer a little. Dingmans Pilsen + sugar = bad ass Belgian tripel.

this is the grain bill i'm considering (19 litres, OG 1.082, 70% mash efficiency)

Pilsen Malt: 13 lbs (81%)
Wheat Malt: 11 oz (4%)
CaraVienna: 7 oz (3%)
White sugar: 0.5 lbs (6%)
Jaggery Sugar: 0.5 lbs (6%)

I agree with leaving crystal out. If you feel you have to go with something you could use vienna instead of caravienne. I've got a really nice tripel in bottles right now similar to what you're planning - it was 3% wheat, 3% munich, and 12% sugar, WL530. If you haven't read it here is a copy of Chris Colby's tripel article from BYO last year.
:mug:

Latest posts

Back