Car Wax

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The wife and I just bought a new (to us) car and I'm seeking the board's combined wisdom on Car Wax products and techniques.

This is the first car I've ever owned that I really have any interest in keeping nice looking. I usually drive beaters and keep them running until they die and then buy a new one. Paint is generally the least of these cars' problems. I haven't waxed a car in 20 years and then I just went with the Turtle Wax, wax on wax off Mr. Miagi style.

Anybody got any advice on a product to use? I'll be doing this by hand so go with the applicator sponge and wipe with a chamois? Any better tips? I appreciate the help.

I have been using the Turtle Wax clay bar kit. I am by no means an expert, but the results are great. If you have a Pep Boys near you they have the kits on sale for ~$9.50.

you should clay bar, then wax. the clay bar will remove imperfections in the paint. i usually use meguiar's products. good quality at a decent price.

Clay bars are awesome, but dont need used everytime. They actually take a small part of the top layer off. Which is why they remove imperfections. Great product, but dont use all the time. After the claybar, apply the wax until its hazy, then buff out. I used to like doing sections of the car IE hood, rt fender, lt fender, etc... It takes time, but the end result is awesome. You can invest in a "not so expensive" buffer, and get good results as well.

HPIM0515EDIT.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I find that some gas/diesel/kerosine on a rag is good for removing road tar/hot patch/bugs/etc from the bumper and sideboards where your tires kick them up. You can try that on the road paint. Never have seen any issues with the finish as a result. Just wash it off really well.

I must admit, I absolutely love RainX. Its a wax, for your windshield. Saved my butt a couple times back when my old Bronco's windshield wipers would short out on occasion.

Just got the clay bar last week, haven't used it yet.
I've got some white road paint on my rocker panel. Any ideas for safe, easy removal?

I always use Naphta to clean tar and gluey deposits off things. Find it in the paint isle. Mineral spirits may work too, as well as gasoline or kerosene, as DrunkleJon mentioned.

3 solvents I always have around:
  • Solvent alcohol
  • Naphta
  • Acetone

Latest posts

Back