Car trouble

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alternator or something else

• Aletrnator

• something else

Results are only viewable after voting.

ol-hazza

Reaction score
So I was driving to work this morning, and my cars engine starts to clunk. When the revs go up and clunking sound speeds up with it and gets louder.

I go to pull in and check it out but the engine cuts out and some warning lights come on. (check engine and some others)

Check under the hood and there is a small amount of smoke coming from around where the alternator is.

Engine wont turn over, just hear the click (that I think is from relays).

I have heard a similar clunking noise from the car previously but only when cold and at high revs.

Car is 92 Toyota Corona that I'm not overly fussed about.

If it is just an alternator then it's probably worth repairing, but more significant trouble then I will scrap it.

The reason I'm not too sure if it was the alternator is that the car died so soon after I heard the noise, and I thought that a car would keep running with a busted alternator until the battery went flat.

Thoughts

An Aletrnator wouldn't produce a clunking sound, you need some way of checking voltage to eliminate it but clunking is bad, any oil in it? And what does it look like?:rolleyes:

"Clunking" noises always worry me. That usually means something, very possibly fatal, has given way in the engine itself.

An Aletrnator wouldn't produce a clunking sound, you need some way of checking voltage to eliminate it but clunking is bad, any oil in it? And what does it look like?:rolleyes:

it sounded like a Child sticking something into a fan. I checked for children near fans under the bonnet but none were evident.

No oil round the alternator, I did notice what looked like particles of sand. I didn't really pay much attention as I wasn't expecting to be able to fix it, I had to use google to double check it was the alternator.

Will get a mate to check the voltage, im sure one of them will know how

"Clunking" noises always worry me. That usually means something, very possibly fatal, has given way in the engine itself.

I have prepared myself for this to be the case, but forever live in hope of saving a dollar even if i have to spend 2.

Last edited:
I think he means what does the engine oil look like? What's the level & color?

Will give it a go, what would the results mean?
Does the noise go away? You found you issue
it sounded like a Child sticking something into a fan. I checked for children near fans under the bonnet but none were evident.

No oil round the alternator, I did notice what looked like particles of sand. I didn't really pay much attention as I wasn't expecting to be able to fix it, I had to use google to double check it was the alternator.

Will get a mate to check the voltage, im sure one of them will know how

I have prepared myself for this to be the case, but forever live in hope of saving a dollar even if i have to spend 2.

A child with it's head stuck in a fan is a lot different then a clunk
I meant the oil in the engine itself, change it regularly?

Sticking something into a fan
Timing belt fail / valves striking pistons
Been there done that

bent valves = car getting scrapped. I'm hoping your wrong but preparred for the worst

I think he means what does the engine oil look like? What's the level & color?

It looks terrible and the level is low.

Does the noise go away? You found you issue

A child with it's head stuck in a fan is a lot different then a clunk
I meant the oil in the engine itself, change it regularly?

engine wont turn over or run so we wont be getting the noise.

Last oil change was probably 6-9 months ago. The car doesnt get a lot of K's (miles)

bent valves = car getting scrapped. I'm hoping your wrong but preparred for the worst

It looks terrible and the level is low.

engine wont turn over or run so we wont be getting the noise.

Last oil change was probably 6-9 months ago. The car doesnt get a lot of K's (miles)

He's dead, Jim...

if you've got enough volts and the engine won't even turn, combined with the clunk and low/bad looking oil, my vote is that it might be time to let this one go.

He's dead, Jim...

if you've got enough volts and the engine won't even turn, combined with the clunk and low/bad looking oil, my vote is that it might be time to let this one go.

it might just not have the volts to turn the starter or run something important but still have enough to run the radio though right?

So I should try to jump start it before burning it to the ground right?

So The Last Post originated from a Dutch tradition called Taptoe (through the phrase tattoo), which was a call made to let the bars know to close off the beer taps so the soldiers would come back to camp.

You would think that Taps had the same origin but apparently not.

Because I couldn't resist, and someone had to do it....

McCoy Meme.jpg

No remote chance it is the alternator. Signed, the guy who grew up in the alternator/starter reman business ........and owns a few thousand cores. ISO9000 certified and all.

Yep there was no jumping it so your on the money me thinks.

Pull the fanbelt (serpentine) and try to turn the engine over with a wrench on the crank pulley nut. See how easy it turns (It's shouldn't be easy, but shouldn't be stuck or make grinding noises when you turn it)

This won't rule out internal engine trouble, but it might reveal it.

It's highly unlikely to be the alternator. In general when they fail it's a bearing and it makes a lot of bad noise well in advance of giving up. It's possible that the bearing on the pulley seized, but again, REALLY bad noise before it goes bad. If the bearing were to seize it *might* cause some resistance to the motor and cause it to shut down, but this is on the far end of possibilities.

There is nothing, really, inside the alternator that should come apart and get caught. It's basically an electric motor with windings and a stator and spins freely. Most of the time the only things that go wrong with them are voltage regulators, burnt windings, and bearings/bushings. And I think it would be nearly impossible for a bearing to actually seize an engine.

Will give it a go, what would the results mean?

It means the alternator is locked up, and won't allow the engine to turn over.

Edit: It happens, with the wrap of the serpentine belt, if the alternator is locked up solid, it won't turn over.
It went south while driving, and the smoke you saw could have been the belt slipping on the pulley.

Post up what you find, if you have not already stated such.

The good news is that the car is ruined. Engine is seized and i get to buy a new one.

I love car shopping. Also have a mate who is away with work for a week so get to borrow his wagon while i go shopping.

Ideal scenario really.

Found out after seizing a Toyota camry motor up they are aluminum blocks and will seize pritty fast if overheated. Mine ran until I turned it off never to be started again.

Latest posts

Back