Capping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kristopher

Reaction score
Planning on bottling my first batch this week. Question about capping. I'm using old twist off bottles. When I cap them, should they be as tight as store bought bottles? I did a few dry runs with table top capper, they take a slight bit of twist to get them off but nothing near what a store bought one would be. Thanks.

Send the twist-offs to the recycling plant. As I understand it, the neck/top glass on those is too thin to take the pressure of capping and carbonating.

Planning on bottling my first batch this week. Question about capping. I'm using old twist off bottles. When I cap them, should they be as tight as store bought bottles? I did a few dry runs with table top capper, they take a slight bit of twist to get them off but nothing near what a store bought one would be. Thanks.

I cap some twist off bottles with a bench capper. The hand held wing capper won't work very well if at all. Mind you I'm not using twist off bottles for any thing that will be around for a while. So far, none have broken, all have carbed. With that said I'm stil a new brewer, but so far it's workingout to use twist tops with a bench capper.

Recycle the twist offs.
Let it age a little longer while you drink enough non-twist off bottles to bottle 5 gallons.

Where are you located? Maybe a friendly neighborhood HBT'er can donate you some proper bottles.

I just bottled for the first time, I usually keg check out this thread to awnser a lot of questions.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=571475

If you can't get pry-off glass bottles, you can always use soda bottles/screw cap plastic bottles. Just be sure to avoid root beer bottles as the flavor tends to leach into the plastic.

Thanks for tips. Had a friend with 5 dozen pry off bottles. Capped great, nice and tight.

Back