Capping without a capper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flycal6

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has made their own capper? I'm in Honduras and have no way to get my hands on one anytime soon.

I'm thinking of using a rubber mallet and proper size pvc to set my caps.

Has anyone come up with any solutions to not having a capper?

As long as you have exhausted the search and came up empty, that is actually not a bad idea!

Just remember this is glass you are working with so be gentle! Do a few test runs on empty bottles filled with some sort of carbonated beverage first, so you know if it seal properly before risking an entire batch of whatever product you are bottling!

You could also look into reusing plastic soda bottles (or and food safe bottle that previously housed carbonated beverages). It is not ideal, but it might save you some frustration/messes/broken glass/non carbonated beverage!

That's a novel question. I don't know if a mallet would help you, a capper doesn't really drive the cap onto the bottle, it squeezes or scrimps the cap edge around the bottle's opening.

you could use plastic soda bottles with screw on tops

just dont leave them in tehre too long and keep them in a dark place

might need to use extra sugar to carb properly

That's a novel question. I don't know if a mallet would help you, a capper doesn't really drive the cap onto the bottle, it squeezes or scrimps the cap edge around the bottle's opening.

yeah, that's why I was thinking PVC. I'm thinking of getting a piece with an inner diameter just big enough to slide over the bottle neck. I think I could set a cap on the bottle and tap the pvc down over it with a mallet. It should crimp the cap. And then finishing off the crimp with the rubber mallet if it needs it.

The bottles here are thick and get refilled, so I don't think I'd break any.

But, I've never done it, so who knows.

Does anyone have any other ideas? It'll take me about 6 weeks to get a capper here if I ordered one, and I really don't want to wait that long.

you could use plastic soda bottles with screw on tops

just dont leave them in tehre too long and keep them in a dark place

might need to use extra sugar to carb properly

I thought about reusing soda bottles. But I think the plastic might give the beer a bad taste.

I thought about reusing soda bottles. But I think the plastic might give the beer a bad taste.

I agree on this. I always bottle 1 bottle per batch in a soda bottle so I can measure carbonation. That beer always tastes different than the rest...especially after long term storage!

What about getting something like this made locally:

New Picture.jpg

To use, the cap is placed on the bottle, the bottle is located under Bottle Capper, and then the feed handles of the drill press are turned to crimp the cap. The drill press is never turned on. Includes Use Instructions.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-S...814?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5efb1f0e

Admittedly, I don't fully understand how it is used but it gives me another idea...

What if you made your own. If you could get your hands on a capping bell, or have a bell machined like the one pictured above, you could make something for it to work (or use a drill press or similar tool if you already have one or access to one)!

Check with any bottling facilities if there are any near you and if they don't have an old capping bell they could give/sell you, they may be able to order one for you!

Maybe push the cap down firmly and use some plumbing pliers to crimp it. I do not know if it would work . Just a suggestion.

Back