Capping difficulties - bottle cuff?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

primerib

Reaction score
Well, another newbie question, guess you learn a lesson on every batch when you’re starting out. I honestly thought I had all the basics down. Have been very intentionally buying a 6 pack of bottled beer to drink every weekend with the added benefit of being able to save the bottles for reuse.

Today, while bottling, I discovered that not all American beer bottles take equally to the red winged capper. I noticed early on that certain bottles weren’t capping quite right, and sure enough I realized the common variable was these bottles lacked the “cuff” in the picture I attached (labeled in blue).

Fortunately I had extra bottles of the correct type, so crisis averted. But I’m curious, any workarounds with the red winged capper, or should I just be careful to acquire the correct type of bottles or get a more versatile capper?

Attachments

• 927C4CED-7575-4D35-907C-A05C11F10641.png
    927C4CED-7575-4D35-907C-A05C11F10641.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 145
They do! Thank you. Glad to know I wasn’t crazy. Just one of a thousand more little basics to learn.

camonick described your problem very elegantly.

If by any chance you can find / collect empty bottles from pubs, bars, etc. go after anything belgian and german ( Vichy style, Steinie and one of the german style variations like this ). Also the 355 ml US bottles, like those from Rogue, Samuel Adams, Brooklyn, etc. can also be capped easily with a butterfly style capper.

Cheers!

My winged capper is adjustable for both short neck and long neck capped bottles. There's little discs that are removable and by just flipping them the other way allows me to cap the other style bottle. I've attached pics so you can see what I mean. Perhaps yours does as well...
IMG_20190316_103844.jpeg
IMG_20190316_103852.jpeg

Velnerj I think I have one of those. Never thought they were adjustable... Damn! Learnt something new today. Thank you for replying and OP for starting the thread.

Cheers!

Very interesting indeed. I have a Red Baron wing capper, the same as what I assume the OP was asking about, and it definitely won’t cap bottles such as Pilsner Urquell, Guinness Extra Stout, etc. with necks like the picture I posted above. I did learn another feature of the red wing capper however after inspecting mine and a quick search on the Google. The Red Baron is capable of capping bottles with both 26mm and 29mm caps by reversing the metal “brackets” that grip the bottle neck. Replacement of the bell housing is also required. It's hard to tell by the pictures of the black one above, but is the reversible part different thicknesses or is it like mine and a different diameter? See attached pictures...
Sláinte

2855EE16-A8C5-4C99-9D93-14C9849CF910.jpeg 3BAD11B3-255D-48D9-BFC9-FBD8C23B1E21.jpeg

Last edited:
camonick I have one exactly like yours and another one. I think you're on to something. Yeah... I believe it can do both 26 and 29 mm caps. But I will have to check next time I bottle.

I noticed the more "triangular" german style bottles are harder to cap than the "mushroom" finnish style I get over here.

The shorter ones i never bother with anyway.

Well, another newbie question, guess you learn a lesson on every batch when you’re starting out. I honestly thought I had all the basics down. Have been very intentionally buying a 6 pack of bottled beer to drink every weekend with the added benefit of being able to save the bottles for reuse.

And thus the learning never ends... I thought all bottles were equal..

Back