crown caps for 750mL champagne bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twd000

Reaction score
I collected a bunch of empty champagne and sparkling wine bottles from my neighbors after New Year's. I'm planning on bottle-conditioning a mixed-culture saison.

My question is whether I can cap them with a red wing capper and 26mm caps, or if I need to go with cork-and-cage?

You need the 29 mm caps and a different "bell" that should screw onto your capper. There is some regional variation in size I think but I believe the french cap their champagne before disgorgement and then cork and cage. Cheers.

Upon closer inspection I looks like I have a mix of sizes. Some of them fit the same 26mm caps as a standard 12 oz beer bottle.

The true Euro-style champagne bottles have the larger 29mm rim so I'll need to order the larger bell and caps. I'll skip the corks- I have faith in the crown caps

I have two of the North American style regular cap bottles but keep them separate from my more numerous Champagne bottles to avoid confusion.

I have two of the North American style regular cap bottles but keep them separate from my more numerous Champagne bottles to avoid confusion.
Yeah I'm glad I noticed they were different before bottling day. I hadn't realized North American 750mL sparkling wine bottles used a different cap size than Euro champagne bottles

Even with a larger bell, the wing capper may not work, since there's variation in the sizing of the lip that the wings need to grab onto. I found what truly worked was a bench capper with a larger bell. Aside from the screw-top champagne bottles (that i cork), I haven't found a bottle the bench capper + crown caps can't cap.

I have a weird old bench capper that the newer bell wouldn't screw onto. So far my wing capper has been fine tho I haven't done a huge batch yet.

Pliers, wiggling, cursing and bloody knuckles is the only way I know how to switch the plates. A small hammer or the back of the pliers to tap the plate back in.

Agreed. I also found the first time getting the plates out is the most difficult. After getting a bench capper, I used the bench capper for the 26mm bottles and the wing capper for 29 so I don't have to swap the plates frequently. I eventually bought a 29mm bell for my bench capper, so I don't use the wing capper anymore.

Agreed. I also found the first time getting the plates out is the most difficult. After getting a bench capper, I used the bench capper for the 26mm bottles and the wing capper for 29 so I don't have to swap the plates frequently. I eventually bought a 29mm bell for my bench capper, so I don't use the wing capper anymore.
Where did you get a 29mm bell for your bench capper? I had to search quite a bit to find a wing capper that does 29, could not find a thing for my bench capper.

Back