Capper for Martinelli's Sparkling Cider bottles???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtnGoatJoe

Reaction score
I know nothing about capping. What capper would work with Martinelli's Sparkling Cider bottles? Specific models and links would be super appreciated.

Thanks!

May I suggest you get a collection of champagne bottles instead of using martinelli bottles. they are much stronger and readily available at the local recycle center for free. It will require a larger cap than the martinelli bottle uses which is also readily available at brew supply stores. I own two cappers, one for beer/martinelli bottles and another for champagne bottles. I have a large collection of 370ml 1/2 champagne bottles which is about 12.6 oz which I use to bottle beer and cider and have no bursting bottles ever. Good luck

Adding on the what ManSkills said, champagne (i.e. from the champagne region of France) bottles typically take 29mm caps, while beer, soda, etc. bottles take 26mm caps. Sparkling wine bottles from California (eg. Mumm Napa), typically take 26mm caps as well. As far as I can tell, the Cali bottles are every bit as robust as their European counterparts, just with the smaller cap size.

I have a very cheap hand capper purchased from my local brew shop (I do small volumes, so this works for me). I have two bells, one 26mm and one 29mm, which are easily interchangeable.

FWIW I just had the last bottle of a mead batch from 2002 that was in a Martinelli's bottle.

I hope I didn't say that Martinelli bottles are not okay. I have used them for years but I just like the heavy glass of the champagne bottles. For a couple of years all my beer was bottled in clear Corona beer bottles. I just like the super heavy glass champagne bottles. I used to work at a fancy restaurant and collected all the 1/2 bottles which are 370ml. And I have a complete kegging set up and still I bottle stuff.

Thanks everyone for the help. I'll take a bottle to my local brew store and make sure I get the correct capper.

And yes, champagne bottles would be awesome, but we just don't drink that many of them :-( I like the suggestion of going to the recycling center, but for now, Martinelli's is what I have.

Thanks!

Back