can't stress how much i love my scale!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wonderful human being! i love it so much though! lol

edit: and i love that auto correct! reminds me, i got a new projector bulb and the last season the good place is on netflix!

There is, that's a good idea. I shut the valve on the outlet of the regulator and blipped the tank open and close again to refill with pressure. I'll see if it drops over the next day or two.
Follow up. @bracconiere your idea was good. With the valve on the regulator shut, over three days the pressure dropped by maybe 20 psi (verified by noting pressure on gauge then blipping bottle valve open and closed again to "top off" the reg).

So my leak is after the reg. Unless it's just permeating through the vinyl hoses, but that seems like a lot for permeating. I'll spray it with some Star San solution here at some point.

In other new my scale came, seems nice and sturdy for the price, I was expecting something that would feel a bit cheaper honestly. Haven't actually used it yet though besides turning it on.

So my leak is after the reg.

sounds more like it's the reg or tank washer if the kegs are shut off, and it drops pressure? regulators do get old and start leaking. and tank washers should be replaced every few swaps.

or do you mean, turning the kegs back on it dropped 20psi on the LP gauge?

and, now you'll be able to tell how much co2 you use to the tenth ounce! and i've learned, at the cost of 3 gallon of beer, don't doubt it! 6 pours is a tenth, the sun's gravity effects it, but if you pour a drink and notice it's down 0.2oz's or something, you got a leak! a 6 pack is a tenth ounce to push.

just wait till you try burst carbing with it! it's great! :mug:

edit: sorry i just got up from a nap.

Last edited:
sounds more like it's the reg or tank washer if the kegs are shut off, and it drops pressure? regulators do get old and start leaking. and tank washers should be replaced every few swaps.

or do you mean, turning the kegs back on it dropped 20psi on the LP gauge?
With the valve on the outlet of the reg shut, the HP gauge dropped ~20 psi over three days. With that valve open but all my manifold valves shut, the HP gauge drops to zero in 2-3 days.

6 pours is a tenth
How many oz are your pours?

How many oz are your pours?

12oz pours, which is 0.65 grams of co2, a tenth of an ounce is 3 grams or so. and this scale will register 3 grams, i've tested it with a 3 gram measuring spoon.

With the valve on the outlet of the reg shut, the HP gauge dropped ~20 psi over three days. With that valve open but all my manifold valves shut, the HP gauge drops to zero in 2-3 days.

the high pressure gauge can varry 100's of lb's because of like 10f difference in room temp, but if it goes to zero, there's a leak. if what your saying is you shut off the tank, and the shut off on the reg, and the HP gauge drops to 0, you said the reg was new right? so i'd yank the reg off and put a new nylon tank washer in it, and tighten it down good to the tank.

the high pressure gauge can varry 100's of lb's because of like 10f difference in room temp, but if it goes to zero, there's a leak. if what your saying is you shut off the tank, and the shut off on the reg, and the HP gauge drops to 0, you said the reg was new right? so i'd yank the reg off and put a new nylon tank washer in it, and tighten it down good to the tank.
No. If I shut off the tank, but the reg outlet valve is open and the manifold valves are all shut then the HP gauge drops to zero in a couple days. If I shut off the tank, but the reg outlet valve is closed then the HP gauge only dropped by maybe 20 psi in three days. In other words, my regulator is not leaking, and my manifold or one of the hose joints is leaking.

No. If I shut off the tank, but the reg outlet valve is open and the manifold valves are all shut then the HP gauge drops to zero in a couple days. If I shut off the tank, but the reg outlet valve is closed then the HP gauge only dropped by maybe 20 psi in three days. In other words, my regulator is not leaking, and my manifold or one of the hose joints is leaking.

well man, sounds like you got the idea down! i've never had a manifold, so someone else would have to help with that, but i do know when i have an elusive leak, i keep my reg's shut off, off unless i'm pouring so i don't lose too much.

It can't be that much of a leak, the 20 lb tank was in use for at least 2 months already and carbed and served 4 kegs, and the tank still has tons left. Not sure exactly how much, I plan on weighing the tank later today to find out (plus to get a weight of regulator to subtract off future readings for in-service weighing).

It can't be that much of a leak, the 20 lb tank was in use for at least 2 months already

4 kegs? i assure you it should last over 3 years at that rate of drinking. when i thought that's how long a 20lb'r was supposed to last, is what gave me a pet peeve about co2 leaks! it's a matter of pride!

and now i'm bringing my bathroom scale next time i swap my tank to pick out the 'most full' one because i've never gotten one with more then 18lb's, but my last swap only had 13lb's. and didn't find out till i got home and weighed it.

(be sure to post back when you weigh the tank!)

(be sure to post back when you weigh the tank!)
39 lbs, 7.5 oz. Tare weight of 25.0 lbs if I'm reading that correctly. So I have 14 lbs, 7.5 oz remaining after generous purging, carbing, and dispensing 4 kegs, plus various lid seating after cleaning and pushing some amount of cleaner/sanitizer through lines. And I don't know if it was a true 20 lbs when I picked it up cause I never weighed it full.

it takes me a little over half an ounce to purge a keg, i carb it to 1.5oz. and it takes me about 0.2oz a day to push a gallon.

well now you have a bench mark to compare to though.

Back