Can't keep liquid in my airlock (or an airlock in my carboy😂)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJIVin

Reaction score
IMG_20201027_080141508.jpg
IMG_20201027_080141508.jpg

Airlock broke and half and the stopper popped out at some point overnight. I was worried about my yeast not taking (I've had a couple mishaps with that recently) so I pitched two packets of Saffale 04. Because of my wood stove temps in my kitchen stay at about 75F. I have wiped the carboy down with starsan and put a new airlock in but within 20mins all the liquid had blown out. I guess I'll just keep topping it off until fermentation slows down... Any other suggestions?

Its about 5 gallons of wort in a 6.5 gallon carboy. So headspace shouldn't be an issue.

I would invest in either a blowoff tube or some fermcap. It also looks like you may have that up on a shelf near the ceiling. You may want to check the temperature up there. It’s likely warmer than lower in your kitchen.

I wouldn’t be too worried about the beer since you caught it quickly relatively unlikely anything got past the barrage of CO2 coming off of that healthy fermentation. Only thing would be fruit flies if you have any.

Welcome to the club! I made a nasty mess in a brand new apartment on my first or second batch. We did not get our security deposit back...Ever since then I have a blowoff tube rigged on every batch. They're really easy and save a lot of aggravation and cleaning.

As @Cool_Hand_Luke mentioned, keep it cleaned up and sealed as best as you can. Fruit flies will turn your whole batch into vinegar if you let them get in..Cheers!

The vinegar thing happens only if there's oxygen present.

True, but it's better to be overly cautious about them than not. My house gets those little bastards every year. I don't know where they come from or how to get rid of them ::shakes fist::

So far they've only cost me a speidel fermentor and siphon, but, that was entirely my fault because I lazily set it in the corner and forgot to clean it for a couple days....

I also have a speidel and those little guys in my flat...... Never surrender!!!!!

After one week vacation and nothing in the flat that they can eat, they vanished. Back to fruit fly county. Unfortunately, as you know, they have miracle like powers and can teleport themselves from fruit fly county directly into a brewers kitchen so we need to take extra care!

This year was as if a balloon just popped and poooof they were everywhere.

Based on the info you have provided, (unless I missed something) I see one major issue:

Your fermentation temp is too high. Safale S-04 has a Recommended temperature range: 64F-72F. Your kitchen is at 75F, and active fermentation can raise internal temps by 7F or more. I would expect a very fast, overly vigorous fermentation, with lots of fruity character and fusel alcohols.

Also, I hope you have been keeping your fermentor covered to prevent skunking from exposure to light.

Oops!

Do you have a thermometer on the carboy? The package for that yeast lists 77F as the top end. With the carboy near the ceiling like that and with initial fermentation heat, you may be exceeding 77F.

I have good success using a metal blow-off tube.

I have two competing heat sources in the house, radiators and a wood stove. This makes carboy placement challenging when the heat is on as the stove blasts the heat out but the radiators are timed to lower temperature at night. I have since gone to the basement and use a heat mat and temperature controller.

As previously suggested use Fermcap I do everytime and I have not had a problem like that since and I usually have 5.5 gal in a 6 gal carboy

Blowoff, then what airlock are you using, a little S shape, or 3 piece? The three piece can handle quite a bit more CO2 flow. Then 1 packet of yeast.

If clogged with yeast debris neither one will perform as designed.
I don't use an airlock until dryhopping. Prior to that I use a 1/2" blowoff tube into a tupperware canister with starsan

I have a 6 foot piece of 1.25 diameter tubing that I use on every batch. Tube fits perfectly in my fermenters (your opening may be different - check before you buy tubing). I use it on every batch, and put the other end in about a half pint of sanitized water (don't use too much or it can suck back into the fermenter if the temperature drops). I also use fermcap every time. Fermcap doesn't seem to work well with Belgians, and I often push the capacity of my fermenter. It is 7 gallons, I put over 6.5 gallons in it last brew, and lost ~1 pint thru it ...... I hate losing beer!!! Without the tube I would have had to clean up a mess.

Like you, I learned my lesson the hard way about 20 years ago. Not had an issue in the last 250 brews.

I have gotten so used to using the tube rather than the airlock, that it is not much more extra effort to use it.

As others have said, keep the temp down.

I have used gas-x or other similar products in a pinch, usually to prevent boil overs. I’m pretty sure the active ingredient is the same simethlicone or something. Even cherry flavored ones, but don’t tell anyone trying my beer.

Thanks for all the replies. I moved the fermenter to a cooler location. It seemed none the worse for wear when I racked it off to secondary.

Just keep in mind that temperature is of utmost importance in producing good beer. Belgian Norwegian farmhouse yeasts are among the few yeasts that can ferment cleanly in temps. above the 70s Fahrenheit. Whatever the temp. is in the location of your fermentor, you should expect that peak fermentation activity will typically take the interior wort temp 5 -10 degrees higher, before dropping down as fermentation slows.

Back