can't get that big juicy hop flavor in my IPA's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moabscuba

Reaction score
Not sure this is the right place for this, this being my first post, but since I think it's sort of a recipe issue I thought this would be the right place. If not, sorry about that. My problem is I'm trying to get that big hop flavor in my IPA's and just can't seem to get it, the bitterness is there, but not the big juicy flavor. I've followed all the suggestions posted here and nothing seems to work. I followed M00p's idea that about using a big amount at flameout, then after it cooled, then dry hopping, but to no avail. I've tried different hops, at different times during the end, nothing. I'm pretty much an extract brewer, so I know that effects it somewhat, but I would think something would come through though. The yeast I use is pretty much WLP090, WLP001, or Wyeast 1056, which I think should be ok for the style. Any suggestions would be great. I use this forum a lot trying to make the best beer I can. For the most part the beer is good, just not the hop flavor I was hopping to get.

Thanks

Can you post a sample recipe or amount of hops? I just made an IPA with 1oz Warrior at 60min, 3oz at 0min, 3oz for whirlpool at 185, 3oz for dry hop in primary and finished with 1oz in secondary before bottling. It tastes like hop juice. 11oz total hops for 5.5g.

Read through the thread titled "Northeast" style IPA.

I'd think that adding 1.25 ounces of hops per gallon of beer, at 15 minutes or less before flameout, would have to give you a juicy hop flavor and aroma. Maybe using reverse osmosis, or distilled water, in your extract batches might also help enhance the hop profile too.

Is there a specific flavour you're looking for? Are you able to give any examples of commercial beers you'd like to emulate?

Reason I ask is juicy always reminds me of one beer: Brewdog's Elvis Juice. Grapefruit infused IPA and, as the name implies, uses a tonne of grapefruit peel to get that genuine "juicy" flavour.

Hop stand
Hop stand
Hop stand

nailed it!
I love resin-y flavor in my beer and I couldn't achieve it until I started doing flame out additions for 20 minutes and a 170-180F addition for another 20 minutes.

When I asked one of the brewers in tired hands he mentioned that it's all about dry hopping, insane amounts of it! will recommend to also start dry hopping right during fermentation to leverage some of the bioconversion.... when I say insane amounts I mean more than 8 oz of dry hops in a 5 gal batch....

+1 for hopstand and what troxerX said.

JC from Trillium has said a few times (I believe it was on BA's forum) that they dry hop using a lot of hops 4 or 5 days after pitching during high fermentation. The latest limited release they just had last Saturday had the equivalent of 18oz per 5 gallon batch. I think it was 7lb per barrel. That beer has more hops than their regular stuff but they still use a lot. I'd say at least 6oz just for dry hopping.

Hop stand yes, but let's not forget dry hops.

It's all about the amount of aromatic compounds & hop oil you can deliver in the glass. High temps & fermentation activity can drive this off. Balancing the timing of your DH addtion(s) & what temp you start a hop stand. Balance those factors out with quantity of hops and your golden.

I add my hop stand addition @ no higher than 180*. Dry hops (IMHO) should be added in 2 stages; first at when approaching TG & secondly right before you hit TG. I feel that the hop oils are better kept in suspension with this technique and allows for packaging at peak freshness.

Ancillary guidance: keep crystal malts below 3% and your TG close to 1.010

i have a conical fermenter. When I dry hop I gas the bottom of the conical with co2 on day 2. I then dump the hops on day 4. The gasing stirs up the hops and releases all the hop oils trapped in the cone. My last IPA was a hop explosion. This creates a cloudy beer which takes forever to settle out.

Back