Can't Brew here :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael88n

Master Napper
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Good day.
I found this forum a few weeks before deploying to Kuwait/Iraq. No Brew for me. Time for the pity party. How Dry I Am...

But I've only got a few months left, should be back in the US in early April.

I'm going back to Delaware and I'm considering growing my own hops for fun and to add to the "I made it myself" factor.

I know that the first year is not usually a very good year for hops production, but I plan on sticking it out for the second year.

If I time my purchase just right, I can order the rhizomes right before I leave, and I can plant right after I get home.

I like to make IPAs & heavy ales and was wondering if anyone knew where to look to find which rhizomes would grow well in my area and fit what I like to drink.

Thanks for the help.

Michael

First I want to say Thank you for your service to the country. I am a navy vet and the Fiance is in the Army reserves. Looks like you two may be trading places come April, she is deploying ot Iraq then.

On to the hops at hand.

As far as i know You should be able to grow just about any hop in Delaware. I would think that the only thing you need to look at is when is the average grwong season in your area. There are hops that mature earlier and later and you may what a variety that matures a little earlier, to account for a shorter growing season.

Here are a couple of good resources:
Hop Gardening by Fresh Hops
BYO Article

Cheers

Welcome! Glad to hear that you'll be coming home soon. You'll be amazed at the quality beer that you will be able to brew yourself.

I'd love to get started growing some of my own hops as well, but in my neighborhood a 20' tall structure for growing hops would not be taken to very well (bunch of uppity, prissy neighbors).

Thank you for serving my country there killer! From this Former Marine to you, I love the dedication that you guys have! Please stay safe out there, and remember, you can always call for Devil Dogs to work with you!

Ó Flannagáin,
I've done an Iperial Stout that was good. A handful of Irish Stouts. And a wee-heavy scottish ale. All were brews that I'd love to do again.

The wee-heavy was brewed right before I left and has been down in the basement waiting for me to come home..

Thanks for the kind words. And for the advice on the hops.
Michael

Back