Canning Starter Wort Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiquidFlame

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered, but out of all the threads I've read, I couldn't find the answer. I've read that you can use your dishwasher for cleaning your mason jars, but what I can't find is if you can use regular dish detergent, or if people are just using the steam cycle, or what. I know you can't use dish detergent when cleaning other brewing equipment, but with every canning starter wort thread I've read no one mentions how they clean their mason jars in the dishwasher, they just say they use their dishwasher to clean them. If anyone could give a little more detail, that would be great.

Thanks.

I just use my dishwasher to clean them. Prior to making a batch of canned starter wort, I rinse them out well with hot water.

Thanks for reminding me that I have to break out the pressure cooker this weekend and prep some jars of starter wort.;)

Right you use your dishwasher, but do you just clean your jars like how you clean your plates? In essence do you use regular dish detergent?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Home Brew mobile app

Thanks, just to make sure, do you need to rinse them out before using or is it fine to just let them dry on the rack.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Home Brew mobile app

I wash mine in the regular dish cycle as they are emptied (soap and everything). I then save them and just before using I rinse them out to get out any dust or schmutz that may have gotten into them. I then boil them to prep for filling.

I never rinse before using.

When the jars were brand new, I'm pretty sure I filled them with extract and water right out of the box, didn't bother to rinse or pre-clean.

Once canned wort is used, I rinse the jar out and use either my hand or a sponge to make sure there is no dried break material stuck to the inside around the neck area, then the jar and lid/ring go in the dishwasher and are run with the next run of dishes. When the dishwasher is unloaded, I put the lid/ring on the jar and store it until the next canning session.

I wash mine in the regular dish cycle as they are emptied (soap and everything). I then save them and just before using I rinse them out to get out any dust or schmutz that may have gotten into them.

This is what I meant.

I don't boil them before filling with water/DME and shaking. They're going into a pressure cooker that reaches 255*F. Why boil them ahead of time?

Latest posts

Back