Cane Sugar/Turbinado OK to Prime Bottles???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScrewBrew

Reaction score
I've been using Corn Sugar (dextrose?) for all of my brews to date. I just buy it in 5oz bags from Northern Brewer to make my life easy. Well I know I can use 5/8 cup of table sugar...and it got me thinking....what about Cane Sugar?

We don't use white table sugar in my house since it is a reletively processed food. We use Cane Sugar which is basically the pure sugar from the sugar cane before it is processed into molassas and white sugar. Cane Sugar has a little brown color to it and has some very slight hints of molassas....

So would there be any issues with using this sugar instead of white for bottling? Would it add to the character of the beer? Make it taste weird? Or would be too little to notice a damn thing?

Thanks!!!

It's fine to use. The "darker" the sugars mean that after the "Purities" in the sugar ferment out to carb the beer, you're left with the other flavors, like the molasses in brown sugar. It's really nice.

You would not use the same amount as you would corn sugar...you would use the amount that you would use table sugar for.

Anything that ferments works great for bottle carbing: extra wort, sugar, maple syrup, honey, juices, etc etc etc! You just need to find the numbers for fermentability and adjust your amount accordingly!

That "cane sugar" sounds like Turbinado. You'd want to consult one of the priming sugar calculators to determine the appropriate weight to use, no doubt the good ones have an entry for that style of sugar...

Cheers!

edit: Duh - didn't notice Turbinado was in the subject :drunk: but the calculator comment still applies...

Back