Canadians, where are you ordering your stuff?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeSkril

Reaction score
I'm living in eastern (far east) Canada without access to any local HB store. The only option I have is to order online.

I was wondering where you are ordering from. I ordered so far from http://torontobrewing.ca/ which worked great. The downside is the really high prices (at least for extract brewing).

Any suggestions?

I live in montreal and order from ontario beer kegs, good prices, cheap shipping and fast delivery. There is also a really good store down town but they dont ship.

everwood ave brew shop in Halifax, Ontario Beer Kegs and Toronto Brewing in Ontario.

I almost exclusively purchase through Ontario Beer Kegs. Fast and great customer service. I have purchased a couple things from Hopdawgs.ca, but their prices are generally higher.

Most of the savings I can muster from ingredients is bulk purchase of hops (online) and grain sacks (local). If you go off the deep end entirely you might be better off to dedicate a day to a road trip to buy a 4-6 sacks of grain and minimize costs on extract and shipping. Huge amount of time to do so, but extracts aren't cheap and grain shipping tends to double the cost per bag.

I used to buy from Canadian Home Brewing Supplies in Brampton, ON but when I moved away from the GTA and driving there was no longer an option I started using OBK. No regrets. Even with shipping the price is about the same and so far I've got all of my orders the next day.

Obk Toronto brewing? And lately noblehop, but to be honest I picked up my online order locally while attending a bottle swap

I'm an hour from my nearest lhbs and find OBK prices are cheaper for almost everything (except LME & DME). Stuff is at my door within two days every time and they have WAY more selection than the lhbs.

I will have to track down a homebrew club within reasonable distance and give that a try!

Another loyal OBK customer here, although I do also turn to BeerGrains when OBK doesn't have what I'm looking for. I've also used Canadian Homebrew Supplies and Innovation Homebrewing. I believe they're all out of the Toronto area.

Base grains and most-used hops, I get through group-buys with the local homebrew club.

This thread came up for me at just the right time! I've got my fourth batch in the fermenter right now, so pretty new to the hobby. I've ordered from Toronto Brewing and Canadian Homebrew Supplies in Brampton, but i never knew about Ontario Beer Kegs until i saw this.

Has anyone here ever brewed the OBK extract kits? I've done a couple BB kits so far, but the selection and price of kits look better from OBK.

Smokey, I'm in eastern ontario, hour from ottawa, I will have a look around and see if there are some clubs closer to me, thanks tho

Has anyone here ever brewed the OBK extract kits? I've done a couple BB kits so far, but the selection and price of kits look better from OBK.
I've been tempted. Particularly the Brew-zilla kits that come out to about $20 per extract kit. One of the better prices I've seen, though I don't typically go searching for these anymore. I do tend to try and keep an extract kit (or even canned kit) in case of a pipeline emergency. Just if I need to whip up something quick.
Smokey, I'm in eastern ontario, hour from ottawa, I will have a look around and see if there are some clubs closer to me, thanks tho
If you're an hour East you might be in luck looking towards Montreal. At that point you're half way. Or swing by Beau's and see if you can piggy-back onto one of their grain orders.

If you're an hour west, you might have some luck in KIngston. If you're an hour North, you aren't in Ontario anymore. South, and I got nothing for you.

@kombat
I noticed not too long ago that Beer Grain Supply has an option for free shipping and store pickup in Ottawa. I think it's at the Clock Tower on Bank, but I could be wrong. It happened once before.

This thread came up for me at just the right time! I've got my fourth batch in the fermenter right now, so pretty new to the hobby. I've ordered from Toronto Brewing and Canadian Homebrew Supplies in Brampton, but i never knew about Ontario Beer Kegs until i saw this.

i have there extract american light on tap, very good.

If you're an hour west, you might have some luck in KIngston. If you're an hour North, you aren't in Ontario anymore. South, and I got nothing for you.

An hour south of Ottawa, you're probably also looking at kingston.

Probably. I was thinking "You're in Morrisburg" if that's the case. Not too familiar with that area, Kingston should be about 1 hr 20 from there or so. I think Cornwall may be a better bet. At that point it might be worth considering hopping (ha!) over the border for something in Ogdensburg or near it. Once again, out of my area of expertise. And food products + border crossing could give you grief. I would imagine that a sack of grain that you can buy on either side shouldn't be a problem, but who says that border rules have to make sense?

OT: Funny story. Work had me cross the border (To Vermont, not that it matters to the story) for a day trip. Declared my lunch as food coming across the border. "Any fruit?" "A couple of banana." "Dole or Chiquita?" "I have no idea. May I ask why that matters?" I managed to enter without having my morning snack confiscated and quarantined.

OT: Funny story. Work had me cross the border (To Vermont, not that it matters to the story) for a day trip. Declared my lunch as food coming across the border. "Any fruit?" "A couple of banana." "Dole or Chiquita?" "I have no idea. May I ask why that matters?" I managed to enter without having my morning snack confiscated and quarantined.

Ha! Reminds me of a buddy of mine who was on a ski trip out west (British Columbia, Canada) one December with some friends. They decided to head south and cross the border into the US to try some new ski hills. At the border crossing, the US Customs agent asked the usual questions, including if they had any food. My buddy had an orange on him. The officer informed him he'd have to dispose of it and could not bring it across the border from Canada into the US.

The orange still had the "Florida Orange" sticker on it. As if we can grow oranges in Canada in December. Didn't matter to the officer that the orange started out in the US. It was now, literally, "forbidden fruit."

Probably. I was thinking "You're in Morrisburg" if that's the case. Not too familiar with that area, Kingston should be about 1 hr 20 from there or so. I think Cornwall may be a better bet. At that point it might be worth considering hopping (ha!) over the border for something in Ogdensburg or near it. Once again, out of my area of expertise. And food products + border crossing could give you grief. I would imagine that a sack of grain that you can buy on either side shouldn't be a problem, but who says that border rules have to make sense?

Ha not quite Morrisburg, but close. I'm in Brockville so Kingston or Ottawa looks like the winners... I'd consider the border hopping if our dollar ever stops tanking..

I buy from either Northern Brewer or Jaspers online and then have the kits shipped to Blaine Wa. I go across the line and pick them up every couple of months. The selection offered by these 2 suppliers at least for extract kits is fantastic. I haven't been able to find a Canadian supplier as reasonably priced mostly because of the shipping costs not their fault I know thanks to Canada Post.

I've brewed the West coast IPA extract kit using sf-05 yeast. Came out great! I recommend that one (drinking it while typing this actually). I've also brewed the Irish red ale but I don't care for that style so I guess it was ok? brewed fine, just not my thing. I'd recommend the OBK kits.

I use brewer's pantry http://brewerspantry.com/... Nice for me brewing extract in a small apartment they mill grains for free.. I am also close enough to them to pick up my order rather than get it shipped so that helps

Back