Canadians: HBT BJCP Homebrew Contest - Interest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradsul

Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
YooperBrew has suggested that a Canadian version of this contest be held. Given the difficulties in getting homebrew over the border legally this might be a better option. Apparently a Canadian BJCP judge has come forward as willing to assist so we need to gauge interest.

If you would be interested in participating, please indicate your interest.

Current Interest (16): bradsul, Denny, Fingers, jspence1, Brewer_Steve, Memorex88, giligson, mrfurlly, beds, Kronin, kenche, HomerJ, boo boo, rod, Evstakiev, noeldundas

I haven't come up with any style yet. For the USA comp, we're accepting all styles and they'll be judged according to the BJCP guidelines. I'm trying to gauge interest in a Canada comp before I go to too much work. We do have a judge in Canada who is willing to do it, if we have the interest.

Hmm, I'd consider flying up to Calgary and smuggle in a 1/2 gallon of wort and hiding it in the Canadian rockies so that I could sweep the lambic category!

I have a few different styles aging that I can part with so I'm in.

The folks that don't think that their brew is good enough should not worry. The feedback from a judge is very informative and will help in your future brewing so GO FOR IT!

I'm in. If there's not a lot of interest, maybe Yooper could spin the BJCP style wheel and pick 2 or 3 styles that we have to make. When is this, btw? And who sells those BJCP style wheels in Canada? Maybe you can rent them...

Yes, it would be shipped. I know shipping is expensive, but you'd get back real honest-to-goodness BJCP scoring sheets with feedback on your beer. It's nice, because they can give you some suggestions, ie- "estery off-flavors, try a slightly lower fermentation temperature", etc.

I don't have a date in mind- I just found a willing judge who agreed to do this if there is interest.

I'm in. If there's not a lot of interest, maybe Yooper could spin the BJCP style wheel and pick 2 or 3 styles that we have to make. When is this, btw? And who sells those BJCP style wheels in Canada? Maybe you can rent them...

I am game as well, but I agree with the above. To be a true competition, I would like to actually have to compete against another beer. The feedback from the scoresheet is great, but so is the pride of victory.

Maybe we good agree on three styles.

Why not do a Best-of-Show style competition up here. Each beer entered can be different, yet still compete head-to-head. Whichever one is brewed closest to style and receives the highest judging scores wins. The entries don't all have to be similar styles to do this.

Just my $.02. :D

That sounds possible, too.

As long as each style was judged on its own merits, then the prizes could simply be awarded as total overall points, not in the 1st, 2nd, etc place in each category.

Then, everybody who wanted to enter could enter their beersl regardless of the style, and get feedback on it.

I'm not sure how these contests work. <rant>I guess I am concerned that some crazy Lactic Lambic or something in the "other" category made with pine nuts and lemongrass is going to win because it is so far away from a real category that it can't be rated </endrant>

But I'm Canadian, I'm fine with anything.

I like the idea of Yooper or whomever may be non-biased (ie someone with some 3 year old barleywine that has won 6 competitions) picking 1 or 2 classes. Then we we choose to submit to that, or just to submit whatever we have for best in show.

Ah hell, Even if we have a Canadian contest, I think we should still invade the border and win the HBT contest. ;)

Maybe one of those smuggler tunnels.... Though my favorite smuggling idea is giant catapult and parachutes. This is also my favorite travel method.

But I'm Canadian,

Loud and proud. Put it in your profile so we know who you are.

Ah hell, Even if we have a Canadian contest, I think we should still invade the border and win the HBT contest. ;)

Well, if I'm going to be filling bottles anyway....

So what's the penalty for shipping yeast samples suspended in brewer's wort across the border? Heck, I didn't know you couldn't do that! ;)

Whatever you guys want to do is ok with me.

I need to address the concern that a weirdo beer can win BOS. I understand that concern, but these WILL be judged according to BJCP guidelines and scored that way. So, if you get a 25 on your lemongrass/coriander/wheat whatever, there is no way it would win anything. If you make a beer that scores a 47, well, yeah, then you can plan on winning.

I just don't want to leave anybody out because they brewed a fantastic oaked beer that doesn't fit in the two or three categories we might pick.

The judge said he's ok with all kinds of different styles, and would judge them according to the style guidelines. The highest scoring beers would be awarded the prizes. Everyone would get back their scoresheets, of course.

I'm going to apologize in advance to whoever the judge is. I'm thinking of sending a beer with a really weird taste, just because I want to know what it is :eek:

Why don't you post a poll? We could vote on styles and add a 'freestyle' category to the list. We may be worrying about something that won't be happening. If there is interest in dandelion catfish beer we address it then.

I would be ok with either of the ideas.

- agree on three styles and compete head to head

- enter any style and be awarded points against that style. The beer that scored the highest wins the competition.

I think we need a count of approx how many would be entering a Canadian contest before we dicide on what kind of competition. Ie 3 styles etc.
I've been updating a list in the top post as people chime in. If anyone wants their name added (or removed) please post or PM me!

I also agree we should see what interest is first. Certain formats of competition may not make sense for the number of entries I would imagine.

This is a great idea. I am still a noob but would love to try a competition, worst case I get some great feedback to improve my brew for next time.

I am in. Any ideas as to when this comp may take place? I am almost done my all grain rig build. This would be a great test.

Cheers

We're just gauging interest at this point. I'm not sure how many people the judge would consider to be 'enough' to make it worthwhile. I would hope we can get enough interest to have it run alongside the US competition.

We're just gauging interest at this point. I'm not sure how many people the judge would consider to be 'enough' to make it worthwhile. I would hope we can get enough interest to have it run alongside the US competition.

Yes, that's my goal. Have it in the same time frame as the US HBT competition. That way, we can compare notes and recipes as part of the competition, even though the border keeps us from exchanging the actual brew!

I'll ask the judge how many entries it would take to make it a realistic competition for him to judge. If it's BCJP certified, the cost is $35 just to get it certified. Not a huge cost, of course, but we need to at least cover the expenses.

First time I read this post. Came across it from the Canadian Group postings.

Count me in, I enter comps anyway. Just got back results from The Cowtown Yeast Wranglers and the March in Montreal comps.
Of course it would depend on the three styles picked or in the other scenerio it wouldn't matter.

First time I read this post. Came across it from the Canadian Group postings.

Count me in, I enter comps anyway. Just got back results from The Cowtown Yeast Wranglers and the March in Montreal comps.
Of course it would depend on the three styles picked or in the other scenerio it wouldn't matter.

Alright- let's add a poll to this and see what three styles would be picked. I'd hate to leave any body out, though, so give me your input if "your" style isn't in the poll.

I would say Pilsner ( 2 ) that would include the 3 sub styles for one.
American Ale ( 10 ) including the 3 sub styles for two.
Stout ( 13 ) including the 6 sub styles for three.

Total of 12 different brews under 3 sections of the BJCP styles.

Ok, what about doing like this:

Lagers

Pale Ales (English and American)

Stouts/Porters/Browns

I know it's broad, but the judge can still rate the beer according to the style guidelines, and the categories can be combined for prizes.

In one contest, I won second prize for my California Common. But, first prize went to an American light lager. The categories were combined, but his score was 40, mine was only 38. My beer was judged according to the style guidelines and so was his.

The prizes will be gift certificates to mashingheads (thank you!!!!!), so well worth entering.

One other question- would you rather have the cheapest entry fee (probably $5 for the first, $3 for the second or more entry), or pay a bit more and get some swag? If the entry fee is $15, you could get a t-shirt, for example.

Back