Canadian Macro discussion (vs micro)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brasseur

Reaction score
I would like start this discussion because I think one should start to discuss this topic. I am a little fed up about people complaining against macrobreweries in general. I went to my local microbrewery this week and had again a talk with micro-lover-macro-hater. I work in food industries and had the pleasure over the years to discuss with micro and macro guys. Everything started when the buddy I talked start to say that Labatt Blue taste like macro-corn-piss. I told him :Do you know there's no corn in Labatt Blue...They use Canadian Pilsner two-row and flaked barley... Most Canadian brewers use flaked barley as adjunts, but it's more for head-retention...He did not believe me...I had the pleasure to taste fresh Molson Export at Bell Centre and where I used to live ( I lived several years in Eastern Part Montreal ) where Molson Export where fresh delivered to local bar et local store. It's a very good brew when it's fresh. I think they also use Flaked barley. I am also lucky to live in an area where old-timer still enjoy O'keefe ale (Classic not the OV lager sold in others provinces) still brewed for Quebec market. This probably the best macro beer in North America. Very british caracter. brewed with two-row-vienna and flaked barley. Nice hoppy Canadian beer around 30 IBU. Labatt 50 also popular with old french canadian drinkers. What do you think?

There are tons of threads here discussing macro beer vs micro beer.

Most North American macro producers are interested in creating beer that's easy to drink for anyone (i.e. flavorless).
I don't think the issue necessarily has anything to do with the ingredients.

Best macro beer in North America? That's pretty subjective. I think Boston Beer Co makes a lot of really good beers in general, but unlike other macro breweries they don't cater to folks with flavor intolerance.
If I'm ever in Quebec I'll look for the O'keefe since it sounds ok.

Happy brewing

Back