Help with adding fruit to blue moon recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hiphop

Reaction score
So I need some help with a twist on this recipe. Last summer I made the all grain version of this recipe and ran out, due to family, within a month. I did a side by side with the real blue moon and did notice a difference but was happy with the results. So now I’m going to make 12 gallons and experiment with 6 gallons of it by adding fruit. I was thinking either cherry or strawberries but have never done fruit to beer before. I have added fruit to cider but it was years ago and I even know where to start on the amount of fruit to add per gallon. I really don’t want too strong as far as ABV for it so I was thinking about adding the fruit 3-4 days after primary fermentation has completely finished and maybe place the beer in the fridge prior to adding the fruit just so the yeast don’t restart fermentation. Add the fruit for 2-3 days while cold crashing and then rack to keg. Does anyone have any thoughts about the amount of fruit I would need and the best way to add the fruit? Thank you for all your help!

recipe:
https://blog.eckraus.com/blue-moon-recipe-clone-extract-all-grain

Blue Moon Recipe (Clone)
(All-Grain Beer Recipe, 6-Gallon Batch)

Specs
OG: 1.055
FG: 1.014
IBUs: 9
ABV: 5.4%
SRM: 5

Ingredients
5.5 lb. Two-Row Brewers Malt
4.5 lb. White Wheat Malt
1 lb. Flaked Oats
0.6 oz. Hallertau hops (2.4 AAUs) @ :60
3 oz. Valencia (sweet) orange peel @ :10
1.5 tsp. fresh ground coriander @ :10
Wyeast 1056: American Ale Yeast
5 oz. corn sugar for priming

Directions: Prepare a 2L yeast starter. Single infusion mash at 154°F., using 1.5 qts water per pound of grain. Sparge to collect 7.5 gallons of wort. Add hops at beginning of 60-minute boil. Add orange peel and coriander in last 10 minutes of boil. Chill wort, pitch yeast starter, and ferment at 65°F. for one week, then transfer to secondary for two weeks. Bottle with priming sugar and condition for two weeks. Optional: serve with a slice of orange.

Back