Canadian Brew Kettle Options?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havox07

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Looking to upgrade my old dented to all hell turkey frier to a proper brew kettle for outdoor brewing this summer. Only problem is that there aren't too many cheap options that you guys have south of the border. A concord pot ends up costing me around $150 due to exchange shipping and import fees.

I have been trying to weigh my options, which seem like either buying an OntarioBrewKegs 15 gallon SS kettle with the valve and a thermometer already on it for 229CAD (175USD) Or Buying an aluminum stock pot from a restaurant supply store for 110Cad, then adding the valve myself for roughly $50 and the pot would end up being a few inches wider than tall and be a bit cumbersome.

Any fellow Canadians have recommendations?

I'm a honorary Canadian- Northern Maine. ;)
How important is the valve to you?
I recently upgraded from a 7G turkey fryer kettle to a 10G kettle that I got from a local restaurant supply store. It's wicked nice quality- very thick aluminum, very sturdy. And the price was right. About $80 US. I envision using this kettle for a looong time.(Still use the 7G one as a HLT).

You could go to a scrap metal place and ask about beer kegs. You could get one for around 30-40 bucks. then use a grinder with a zip disk to cut out the hole yourself. I found a welder locally who installed a fitting for the valve for about 25 dollars. Thats a nice 15 gallon stainless steel brew pot with valve for under $100!:mug:

I'm a honorary Canadian- Northern Maine. ;)
How important is the valve to you?
I recently upgraded from a 7G turkey fryer kettle to a 10G kettle that I got from a local restaurant supply store. It's wicked nice quality- very thick aluminum, very sturdy. And the price was right. About $80 US. I envision using this kettle for a looong time.(Still use the 7G one as a HLT).

I guess it's not make or break. The 40Q one at my local restaurant supply seems nice because it's not nearly as wide as the 60Q one, but everything I have read has people recommending going for a 60Q pot over a 40Q pot for doing BIAB and 5 gal batches.

After 4 years of doing full volume 6.5G boils in a 7G BK, I'm loving the 10G kettle. It was possible to do boils without getting a boilover in the 7G, but I had to watch it like a hawk and throttle down the gas as soon as it started to boil. And yes, Fermcap was my friend!!!

The house obk kettles are ss brewtech kettles with a different name. (Yes they are identical) They are superb quality. They go on major sale at times. I have a 20 gallon obk kettle. I got it for a little over 200 on sale. It's worth every single penny. It will be your main tool. Get a good one without spending extra on just a name.

I can't recommend the house OBK kettles enough. Clad bottoms. Strong handles. The only minor quibble is the volume scale starts at 12 gallons.

Do yourself a favour and just save your money for a 20 gallon OBK and wait for it on sale. You won't be disappointed and I quickly outgrew smaller kettles. Just my two cents.

I'm gonna throw in another vote for the welded kettles OBK puts on sale all the time. I'm using 3 between 2 setups and love them all. They aren't too bad to drill if you need more inlets and outlets either, we've done like 6 holes on the same cheap step bit.

Back