Can you wash preservatives out of canned fruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarbonTom

Reaction score
Hey guys,

A couple years back I made a beer with lychee fruit, which I boiled and put into the 2ndary. About 5 minutes after I did it my friend asked how I found canned lychee with no preservatives...something which I hadn't even thought about. Foolish, yes, but it was the 2nd beer I made and I still had no idea what I was doing...Per my LHBS recommendation I threw in 2 packets of dry yeast, and it somehow brought it down to a finishable gravity.

I would like to experiment with this again, however actual raw fruit is very difficult to find in MA, RI and very expensive online. There are puree's available for cocktail making, but all that I can find have preservatives.

I was wondering if it is possible to take a canned fruit and drain the liquid and wash the preservatives out of it. The last thing I want to do is run into the same, yeast halting fiasco as I did all those years ago.

I don't think so because don't you think the preservatives would be absorbed by the fruit itself? I do.

Back