Can you mix your corn sugar and water ahead of time then hold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdot6

Reaction score
I was just wondering if mixing your sugar and water then boiling like usual but instead of mixing with the beer, you hold it for a later time. You're basically making a simple syrup and I'm thinking you could really extract more flavor this way. For instance, make a ginger simple syrup to let it steep for two days or so in the fridge, reheat, strain into your bottling bucket and then mix in your beer. Thoughts? Would the sugar crystallize?

you could do this. It is basically a simple syrup, as you said. You would either want to reboil or keep in sanitary conditions to prevent infection.

That's what I was thinking 2. Appreciate that blizzard. Definitely seems like a lot more flavor could come out this way

Depending on the temp and the amount of sugar you could end up getting crystals but reboiling it would put them back into solution

Depending on the temp and the amount of sugar you could end up getting crystals but reboiling it would put them back into solution

Thanks. I'm thinking of trying this with some dried tangerine peels at bottling for a blonde. Thinking this would also bring the aroma up

Back