can you make yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowchrome

Reaction score
I was told by a friend that a guy he met told him that you can make yeast clones from packaged beer yeast is this true if so how is it done

Yes, search for "yeast harvesting" It only works on beers that are bottle conditioned, however.

Yes, you can actually culture yeast that has been pulled from a bottle conditioned beer. The important thing to remember is that the beer has to be bottle conditioned meaning that it has not been run through a filtration system. If the beer is filtered, there won't be any yeast left to culture.

If you're looking to grow some yeast from a bottle, you will first need to pour about 7/8 of the bottle into your glass (don't drink from the bottle). You may need more than one of these bottles to get a sufficient amount of yeast. Once you have a few bottles with the yeast in the bottom, you can make a yeast starter out of some DME and water and pitch the remainder of the beer directly into the yeast starter. This will give your yeast the neccessary nutrients in order for them to grow and multiply. I would reccommend searching Google or this forum for more information regarding this though. I wish I had a link handy but there are quite a few good threads out there already that will walk you through the process.

Latest posts

Back