Can you double an all grain batch with DME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverfish

Reaction score
My equipment is only large enough to do 5 gallon batches, but this last brew session I started thinking it would be nice to be able to double these recipe sizes and get more beer. I was wondering if it would be possible to do an all-grain/minimash hybrid where I would process my grains the same as for a 5 gallon batch, but during the boil I could add double the hops and add DME to get the gravity up. After the boil I could simply split the wart into two 5 gallon carboys and dilute each one to make a 10 gallon batch.

Has anyone heard of or tried this before? I think it might be a nice way to double the recipe size with no extra effort. (except on bottling day haha)

Yepp, I do it all the time. I have a 5 gallon igloo cooler, and a 1/2 bbl sankey keggle. I use Beersmith to figure my recipes. You are basically doing a partial mash. Great way to get to 10 gallons without upgrading your HLT/MLT.

Back