Can you Brew It recipe for Mission Street Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricCSU

Reaction score
All recipes are (unless otherwise specified): 6 gallons post-boil, 70% efficiency, Morey for color, 15% evaporation, 7.27 gallons preboil, Rager IBU, and most hops are in grams not ounces. Most, if not all recipes are primary only (no secondary).

If you brew this, please reply with your results for discussion.

OG 1044
IBUs 12.2
SRM 4.1

3.85kg Pale Malt 80%
720g Munich 15%
240g Carapils 5%

90 minute boil

7g Fuggles 4.75%AA at 90m
7g Chinook 13%AA at 30m
24g Cascade 6% at 0m
24g Centennial 10.5%AA at 0m
24g Centennial dry hop
24g Cascade dry hop

WLP002

Mash at 145F for 60m, 155F for 10m, then mash out

RO Water, gypsum and CaCl to 100ppm

Cool to 17C and pitch, raise to 19C after 24 hours.

Discussion Notes:
IBU is calculated lower due to the 45 minute whirlpool which provides not IBUs according to Rager. However, Chad did not use a long whirlpool, so he changed the hops to Chinook at 60m and Cascade/Centennial at 30m. Chad dry hopped at 5 days in primary and cold crashed at 10 days, kegged at 15 days. He did not that the sample he tasted after crashing did not taste right, but after carbing, that off-flavor went away.

Firestone Walker Pale 31 is a blend of a Mission Street Pale Ale and Double Barrel Ale. I will add a thread for both Pale 31 and Double Barrel Ale once I have them on iTunes.

Eric

This recipe is outstanding! Anyone interested in a light ale with great American citrus hop flavor should give this a try. It is a little more aggressively hopped than your standard pale ale but it is delicious. I went with Simcoe for the 90 and 30 minute additions and the beer turned out great. Its a lower alcohol quaffer for all the hop heads out there. Cheers.

I'm looking forward to making this one. I've had the actual Mission Street Pale Ale several times and always wondered what it would be like if it wasn't mishandled by Trader Joes the minute it came off the truck from the Firestone Walker boys. (Warm storage under fluorescent lights all day? Yeesh.) The bottles are always skunked or oxidized, but you can really tell there is a fantastic beer under the off flavors. Looking at this recipe, I'm salivating for the beer this is meant to be.

Anyone have any clue as to the hop schedule for the Mission Street IPA? I just bought some the other day and really fell in love with it. It was a very smooth drinking IPA. I'd love to make something similar if I could.

The IBU's seem a little low to me for a pale ale... I'm still learning a bunch so maybe I'm wrong. According to my beercalculus with my pale ale I had to keep fadangling with earlier additions to hit 30 IBU mark, going by a standard American pale ale though maybe that is why?

Brew_4iT said:
The IBU's seem a little low to me for a pale ale... I'm still learning a bunch so maybe I'm wrong. According to my beercalculus with my pale ale I had to keep fadangling with earlier additions to hit 30 IBU mark, going by a standard American pale ale though maybe that is why?

Fadangling?

Fadangling?

does "Fandangle" work better for you :confused:

The method used for measuring bitterness uses the assumption that flameout additions contribute zero IBUs. They discuss it a little in the show.

Eric

The method used for measuring bitterness uses the assumption that flameout additions contribute zero IBUs. They discuss it a little in the show.

Eric

Basically the earlier you add to boil the higher IBU's, and also depending on hops kinds. I wanted to get my wort around 30 total, I omitted EKG for Centennial and is a might bit stronger.. so it took some "findangling" :cross:

Brew_4iT said:
Basically the earlier you add to boil the higher IBU's, and also depending on hops kinds. I wanted to get my wort around 30 total, I omitted EKG for Centennial and is a might bit stronger.. so it took some "findangling" :cross:

I understand the concept. The limitation of the equation is flameout hop additions. You will get some bitterness from the flameout additions. Using more late-hopping can provide a nice flavor and aroma without too much bitterness, which is why firestone walker uses it.

Eric

I just bought some from TJ this weekend and enjoyed it on Labor Day. What gives this pale ale the 'sweet' character? Is it the munich? THe mash temp is so low, that I would think this beer would be so dry.

I'm going to brew this one I think.

nutty_gnome said:
I just bought some from TJ this weekend and enjoyed it on Labor Day. What gives this pale ale the 'sweet' character? Is it the munich? THe mash temp is so low, that I would think this beer would be so dry.

I'm going to brew this one I think.

Probably a combination of the yeast, Munich, and poor storage causing the hops to drop out.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

I'm thinking of making this my next brew, but I'm curious about the purpose of the 90 minute Fuggles addition. What does this contribute to the beer? Normally a 90 minute addition would just be for bittering, but why use a low alpha hop like Fuggles? Is it contributing any noticeable flavor? If not, I'm just going to use Chinook for the 90 and 30 additions.

Brewed this last weekend using Chad's hop schedule. First mash infusion went fine but didn't hit my temps for the second infusion. Mash out temp was say off. Preboil gravity was 1.045, expected 1.036. Didn't adjust hops. OG into the fermenter was 1.059. Meh, will be beer.
Have to find out why the second infusion didn't hit temp and try again.

I brewed this recipe using no substitutions but adjusted the schedule as follows:
- Added the Fuggles to the first runnings (first wort hopping)
- Added the 0m hops at approx 5m left in the boil
- Did not dry hop; added the hops at flameout instead
- Used the 45min "hop stand".

OG: 1.053, FG 1.017, 4.7% ABV

Today I had my first bottle but at only 10 days after bottling, so the beer is definitely green and will continue to improve. The beer has a nice hop profile, with a pine dominance. It tastes like a green IPA with muted hop bitterness. It has a medium body - it does not have the same sweetness I remember from the 6-pack I bought at Trader Joe's. If I remember I'll post an update in a couple of weeks when the beer is ready for general consumption.

Steve

I just plugged this into Beersmith with Chad's hop schedule which moved the chinook addition to 60 min and the cascade/centennial addition to 30 min and I'm getting 47.2 IBUs using Rager. Is this right? It seems really high.

Back