Can You Brew It recipe for Deschutes Obsidian Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricCSU

Reaction score
All recipes are 6 gallons post-boil, 70% efficiency, Morey for color, 15% evaporation, 7.27 gallons preboil, Rager IBU, and most hops are in grams not ounces. Most, if not all recipes are primary only (no secondary).

If you brew this, please reply with your results.

SG 1067
FG 1017-1020
SRM 48
73.4 IBUs

90 min boil

WLP002 or Wyeast 1968. Ferment at 65F to start and increase to

11.9 lbs US 2-row
1.43 lbs black barley malt
1.1 lbs crystal 80
0.66 lbs carapils
0.66 lbs munich 10l
0.66 lbs wheat
50g roasted barley

30g Galena 13%AAat 90min
30g Williamette 5%AA at 30min
30g Northern Brewer 9%AA at 5min

Mash at 149F

Jamil added 1 tsp of gypsum to mash

Jamil states that this recipe is better than the recipe for an American Stout in Brewing Classic Styles.

A while back I made this recipe with a few minor substitutions for ingredients available on-hand. Fermented with S-04 dry yeast. It was the best beer I've ever made. Split a 10 gallon batch with a friend and I wish I had kept the whole 10 for myself. It was gone in a hurry.

Anyone know which black barley malt is used in this? Is it the 660L or the 500L

EDIT: Looked up the forum on this for CYBI- Jamil states this is Black Patent Malt.

Well if one was to post this recipe and ask people for feedback- there would be a lot of "way too much black patent" etc. I will report back after I start drinking it. Should be 8 weeks or so.

Great beer. Never had Obsidian, but the clone is delightfully good. Just had one last night, but the bottle was overcarbed.

Well if one was to post this recipe and ask people for feedback- there would be a lot of "way too much black patent" etc. I will report back after I start drinking it. Should be 8 weeks or so.

I know. I can't understand the hate for black patent. I routinely use up to a pound in my basic stout recipe. A pound and a half sounds interesting; I may have to play. Hope the beer turns out well - keep us posted!

Brewing this right now. About ready to cool. I tasted the wort preboil and I was shocked at how smooth it tasted, no acrid burnt character. I'd assume there will be some of that there later but the wort was very tasty.

Brewed this a few weeks ago... I upped the wheat by a pound and dropped the black patent to a bit over 1 pound... Wasnt 100% on the hops so i cut back a bit as well.. more flavouring less bittering.... At that point I named it a porter and wont touch it for a month

Well I had this sitting in a keg in my cool room at about 55F or so for the almost 3 weeks now. I kegged it 2 weeks after brewing and the fabled Fullers strain (WY1968) took this from 1.067 to 1.017 in 4 days! I also made a huge starter and kept the ferm temps right in line with the suggested temp. At kegging it was pretty good and I pumped the keg with 35 psi to seal, so I knew it would be lightly carbed by now. Of course, I couldn't resist hooking up a line and taking a small sample to see how it was coming along. After the first sip I could have easily threw it into the keezer and started drinking it right there. The only thing I can say is awesome, awesome! I can't wait to tap this when I have a spot open up and it is carbed to the level it should be. Deschutes carbs this pretty high for the style if I remember right.

My only recipe mod was the bittering hop. I chose to bitter with chinook instead of galena. My guess is it made very little difference.

We are at about 8 weeks now. The keg has been in the keezer for about 2 1/2 weeks and it is fully carbed. I find myself craving the stuff. Tastes of smooth coffee, slight roast and bitter chocolate. The stuff is amazingly drinkable and suprisingly balanced. The high hopping rates really balance out the huge dollop of patent malt, however I don't get too much hop flavor and the bitterness is only in the back. The beer is jet black, with a big cap of solid light tan foam that doesn't quit and laces the glass all the way to the last sip. The mouthfeel is right where I like it to make it drinkable. It is not too heavy but it is slightly creamy and holds on to your tounge to really deliver the flavors. I do not know how long this is going to last. I always trade a few beers with buddies and this I am sure will be a hit and I am guessing I will get lots of help drinking it.

The one thing I am curious to try is using a American yeast variety and mashing higher to see what that brings to the party. I am not sure what the fullers strain is doing for it, because I cannot taste that in this beer. I'd venture a guess I could use a higher mash temp and US-05 and get pretty much the same thing. I am also not sure what the little bit of munich brings to the party. It is such a small amount of that you could eliminate it totally. Other than that I wouldn't mess around too much with the recipe. It is awesome.

I love the English strain but definitely find the extra maltiness they typically bring to the party to get a little overshadowed in darker beers. Still, I use this strain for lots of other reasons so I think I'll stick with it.

I brewed this recipe a week ago Sunday and kegged yesterday. I'm really looking forward to this beer as it is one of my favorites.

My final gravity ended at 1.010. My original gravity was right on. Figuring this is going to lead to a little lighter finish. Any ideas on why it would have finished so low?

I'm just gonna take a wild guess that you did not use the recommended yeast?

I used the recommended White Lab WPL002. I was thinking that my Mash temp might have been too low and therefore had more attenuable sugars. Was having issues with the digital thermometer.

I brewed this about four months ago, and I just got my hands on a bottle of the real deal (I live in Utah and it is unavailable). So I decided to do a blind side by side with a couple of friends. One of my buddies picked my homebrew as the "real one", and my wife said she could barely tell the difference.
Personally, I like mine better than the Deschutes, but I may be biased. ;)
This recipe is dead on the money and deliciously satisfying. Brew it.

Brewed this last month just put it on tap tonight. Not carbed but still tastes fantastic. Realized after reading the recipe here (copied it straight from the show) I missed the Munich Malt lol. Still going to compare to the orginial and see how close it is. Besides it gives me a reason to rebrew. Any thoughts on how the missing Munich might change the flavor profile? :mug:

The Munich isn't going to make a heck of a lot of difference at that amount and I'd bet with all the black malt you want even notice.

This is going down this weekend. I only have a pound of Black Patent, but I'm going to scale down to 5 gallons, and I have better efficiency, so I should be close.

Can't wait.

I'm a little concerned with the low mash temp and it finishing too low.

This is going down this weekend. I only have a pound of Black Patent, but I'm going to scale down to 5 gallons, and I have better efficiency, so I should be close.

Can't wait.

I brewed this about 10 months ago and had a bottle (only one more left) of this last night. IMO, stick with the recipe and the mash temp. The carapils and probably wheat help to balance the recipe as it isn't overly dry and has a really nice mouthfeel. In fact from my taste of it last night I wouldn't put "dry" as a tasting note for this brew. It is rich and full flavored. A great one for a 22.

I would definitely rebrew this one myself; was actually considering when I will rebrew just last night!

Can't wait.

I've brewed this recipe 3 times now and it is still one of my favorites. I agree with sticking with the mash temperature, you don't want any extra residual sugars. You will love it!

Awesome can't wait. I guess my only concern is I'm using S-04 so I'm not sure if it attenuates differently than 002.

I almost think that when I brewed this I couldn't get 002 or similar so I had to go with s04... 99% sure that was the case. You should be fine.

Ok, so I brewed this.. and I haven't really dialed in 90 min. boils on my system. Add the fact that it was quite cold here, and I couldn't actually see the boil for the steam.. my OG was 1.080!!!! I added a gallon of water, to hopefully bring it down.

Did you end up with the correct end volume by adding that gallon? I know when I was dialing in my system for 11g batches once I got a 12.5finish volume (don't ask). Anyway, the beer was so watered down it really missed the mark for what I was looking for. i.e. better to have your correct end volume than the correct O.G. IMO.

No, I was doing a 5 gallon batch, and it was much more like 4-4.5 in the fermenter.

I did the dilution calculation in Beersmith, and it said adding a gallon of water would get me to 1.068.

No, I was doing a 5 gallon batch, and it was much more like 4-4.5 in the fermenter.

I did the dilution calculation in Beersmith, and it said adding a gallon of water would get me to 1.068.

then you are all good. I am still peeved about that 12.5g brew :D

FWIW...

I made this with WLP090 and mashed at 154*F to compensate for the higher attenuation. This worked well for me -- OG/FG of 1.068/1.019.

Ok, so after about 10 days it's down to 1.015!! Perfect, and that was mashing at 150. Glad I listened to everyone.

Oh, and the hydro sample was amazing.. I forgot how good stout samples taste, even green.

Ok, so after about 10 days it's down to 1.015!! Perfect, and that was mashing at 150. Glad I listened to everyone.

Oh, and the hydro sample was amazing.. I forgot how good stout samples taste, even green.

Nice!

Brewed this last weekend. So far so good, OG was 1068, and made some minor changes to the amounts, and brew shop didn't have the recommended yeast, so I used White Labs 013 London ale yeast. My first stout, so I'm excited to see how it turns out. I plan on letting it set in the primary for a few weeks, then bottle it. Will let everyone know how it turns out.

Back