Can you believe this is milled?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beenym88

Reaction score
I put in a recipe at a home brew shop and picked it up today. They accidentally milled it and I said that was no problem the grain is a complete recipe. I go home and find it looks like this. It looks like maybe someone put it next to a grain mill so I milled it myself. I have been wondering though what do you guys think of my crush for the one that is actually crushed?
A4AEA1D8-D59A-4019-AB2C-DF3620EB4BEB.jpeg
6DA773BF-1C76-4451-85BE-85815F278FE3.jpeg
3CFF662D-DF87-464E-AB20-6502FD0EBECF.jpeg

The picture of your crush is a good crush another run wouldn’t hurt it though. If you’re a BIAB brewer you should go finer though.

You were far better off milling it yourself. Now you should know what your exact mill setting was (assuming you have a feeler guage) so when you calculate your efficiencies on your brew day you can make adjustments for your next batch. The crush looks fine to me but I would go by the measurements and not so much the appearance.

The picture of your crush is a good crush another run wouldn’t hurt it though. If you’re a BIAB brewer you should go finer though.
No not BIAB my efficiency has not been good lately though so I was wondering about my crush but think it’s probably more adjusting to my new system. I have a cheap mill and when I take the gap any closer it produces a lot of flour and once it’s crushed to this size the mill won’t run it through to double mill which find very odd.

You can try malt conditioning (check this out) your barley prior to running it through your finicky mill. You'll get the same fine particles but much larger husks that will help with lautering.

No not BIAB my efficiency has not been good lately though so I was wondering about my crush but think it’s probably more adjusting to my new system. I have a cheap mill and when I take the gap any closer it produces a lot of flour and once it’s crushed to this size the mill won’t run it through to double mill which find very odd.
I’d you run it through twice, what does look like? Are you volumes correct and properly placed in the calculator? water chem all dialed in?

It’s been getting better ragtime I went from a all in one BIAB style vessel to a 3 vessel electric. With losses in the hoses and attempting fly sparging without the right equipment things weren’t going great but progressing each time. Today I switched over to batch sparging and saw a big improvement.

Back