Can yeast start working too soon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cochised

Reaction score
Just did a 1 gallon batch IPA, OG 1070.
Dry pitched half pack US05 and 20 mins or so later it's bubbling away.
Never seen that before but no idea if I should be worried

That's pretty fast, but OTOH you did pitch a lot of yeast cells, which tends to shorten the visible lag time. What's the temperature of the wort? (High-ish?)

Yeah, temp was closer to 23 or 24c so sure that helped.

Yeah, that's a bit warm. And it'll be warmer at peak fermentation.

But worried it will blow itself out too soon now

If you mean quit before attenuation is finished, I doubt that will happen. But if you mean finish very quickly, I'd say there's a pretty good chance of that.

Fingers crossed so

Aim was 2 gallons but boil was obviously too vigorous and only got 7 or 8 litres so used only 1 carboy to be sure

Also, only came to me later in my infinite wisdom that I should have filled both equally and topped up with water, might have lessened strength but would have given 2 gallons instead of putting all my eggs in one basket, so to speak

Also, only came to me later in my infinite wisdom that I should have filled both equally and topped up with water, might have lessened strength but would have given 2 gallons instead of putting all my eggs in one basket, so to speak
Did you take a gravity reading? I prefer to have gravity close to the intended, rather than volume.

Back