Can u pitch yeast twice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheNoodlerHank

Reaction score
I pitch my yeast like a week and half ago. And now it's slowed down to every 12sec it bubbles. Should I pitch again? I used 1118 yeast.

TheNoodlerHank said:
I pitch my yeast like a week and half ago. And now it's slowed down to every 12sec it bubbles. Should I pitch again? I used 1118 yeast.

Did you check your gravity readings with your trusty hydrometer? If not no don't pitch yeast. Check readings first. I'd leave it for at least 2 wks first then start checking gravity readings.

There's no reason to add more yeast. Active fermentation will slow down as it finishes up.

Make sure you do have enough nutrients for a nice healthy fermentation, and add them accordingly.

Sounds normal to me, I often get less than that. I would take a hydro reading before any thought of pitching more yeast, but in fact if it was me I would just let it sit for a month. Not that you cant check now,if you feel the need. My guess is youll end up getting good attenuation, but a hydro sample will be proof of that when you secondary

I was planing to rack it in the 27th ir more days I took a gravity reading the first it was made just before I pitched the yeast. I'm wanting a sweet mead. Oh I did add nutrient before I pitched.

If that is champange yeast, I would say dont add as much nutrient? And you wont get a sweet mead unless you used a larger amount of honey than its abv tolerance. Im guessing you will have to back sweeten too for a sweet mead with that yeast.

I used 18lbs of honey for 5 gal.

Then you should end up with a sweet mead. Even EC-1118 won't survive that much EtOH. It could have been slightly drier, if you had reserved some honey for later addition, but all at once, I expect that the bugs will drop out before it even reaches 18% ABV, leaving you with >2 lbs of unfermented honey in the batch.

Also, I hope you were wanting a still mead, unless you plan to keg it and force carb.

Shakybones said:
Then you should end up with a sweet mead. Even EC-1118 won't survive that much EtOH. It could have been slightly drier, if you had reserved some honey for later addition, but all at once, I expect that the bugs will drop out before it even reaches 18% ABV, leaving you with >2 lbs of unfermented honey in the batch.

Also, I hope you were wanting a still mead, unless you plan to keg it and force carb.

What's "still mead"? I was just going to bottle it.

Unless I miss my guess "Still mead" is just mead that is not carbonated.

Nope. With that much unfermented sugar and that high ABV, you'll never be able to bottle condition (carbonate) it.

Still mead is just fine though. It might even be great. Enjoy your creation (in a year or so)!

If that is champange yeast, I would say dont add nutrient. And you wont get a sweet mead unless you used a larger amount of honey than its abv tolerance. Im guessing you will have to back sweeten too for a sweet mead with that yeast.

I still add nutrients! It's important for yeast health, and I tend to do it the traditional way with staggered nutrient additions. Having the yeast stall out due to stress may "work" in the sense that it will leave the mead sweet, but there is a flavor impact as well as the potential for the yeast to take off again in the future. Adding staggered nutrients really makes a great difference in the flavor and quality of the mead.

We have a good "sticky" with basic mead making how-tos here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/sticky-mead-making-faqs-83030/

Back