Can trub aid floculation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lyonshead

Reaction score
Okay, I have brewed probably around 20 times using the exact same single infusion mash/batch sparge method. I have never had an issue with beer clarity until now. For whatever reason my recent pale ale (2-row & crystal 60) is cloudy. I used a combination of pellet and late addition whole cone hops.

I chilled the beer very quickly with immersion chiller, whirlpooled by hand and racked into Carboy. When I did this I noticed a ton of extra hop particles and other matter in my beer that I usually don't get. I decided to let it settle for about 3 hrs and then racked again into a fresh Carboy before pitching. The result was much clearer wort... I figured problem solved!

Now I have this milky, yeasty haze all throughout the beer, it attenuated down to 1.013 but the resulting yeast cake seemed smaller than normal. I originally attributed this to the fact that it wasn't mixed with all the trub.

So all that was my really long way of asking can trub and hop matter aid in floculation (give the yeast something to ride to the bottom)? It's the only thing I've ever done different so im searching for an answer to my cloudy beer.

Thoughts?
Wyeast 1056 with dme starter btw

Back