Can someone please help me with wine yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hollie

Reaction score
I started my wine out with a premier cuvee right. Then all of a sudden I realized it was only for a 5 gallon batch for that particular yeast packet. Anyway I added another yeast packet to be sure because I didn't know what the heck to do because I started out with 6 gallons. So my question is this, if I add a bunch more sugar to my 6 gallon batch, will that yeast potentially become a 34% wine? I hope you understand what I am asking?. Thanks. :)

I started my wine out with a premier cuvee right. Then all of a sudden I realized it was only for a 5 gallon batch for that particular yeast packet. Anyway I added another yeast packet to be sure because I didn't know what the heck to do because I started out with 6 gallons. So my question is this, if I add a bunch more sugar to my 6 gallon batch, will that yeast potentially become a 34% wine? I hope you understand what I am asking?. Thanks. :)

No, you won't get more than the yeast strain can tolerate. I think premier cuvee stops at a max of about 16% in a happy fermentation.

A yeast packet is good for "1-6 gallons", so one package is enough for a 6 gallon batch and that is what I always use. You don't have to add more yeast, but if you did it won't hurt.

Okay, I understand what you are saying. It took a few minutes to understand LOL.

So, the cuvee can tolerate a 17% abv. Are there yeasts that have a higher tolerance?

I think EC-1118 might do 18%, but this is the upper limit of commonly used wine yeasts. Most other wine yeasts are about 12 - 14%.

Getting above this threshold would require freezing like an eisbock (which probably won't make for good wine) or fortifying the wine with some sort of distilled spirits. You might try looking for port recipes if getting a rediculously high ABV is your goal.

Latest posts

Back