Can someone help me convert this recipe to extract or partial mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisgoestoeleven

Reaction score
I want to make a wheat IPA as a nice summer beer. I found this recipe I want to try, but I don't have the space or equipment (small apartment) to do all grain. Does anyone have a good method for converting all grain recipes to partial mash, or extract with specialty grains?

I use beer smith to convert recipes, but I really wanted to try out all grain so I built a 5 gallon MLT and just finished my second 3 gallon AG batch today on the stove so that's another option.

Converting recipes is pretty easy.

Since wheat DME tends to be a blend of 35% wheat and 65% pale malt, that would be a good choice.

Generally, 1 pound grain = .6 pound DME.

You'd keep the steeping grains the same.

So:

1 pound crystal 20L
.5 pound carapils (I'd leave this out- you don't need it with the wheat and the crystal)

6.6 pounds wheat DME (or go with 7 pounds if you're only wanting to buy two bags plus a one pound bag)

Steep grains and remove and throw them away. Bring liquid to a boil and add 1/2 of the extract. Add hops as indicated.

After adding the last hops, add the rest of the DME and whisk it in (take the pot off the heat for this) and bring it back to a boil and then turn off the flame.

Back