Can someone explain style differences to me?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHead0814

Reaction score
I'm a total noob and haven't brewed my first beer yet, but I'm still in research and learning mode. Can someone explain to me the difference between an Imperial IPA and a Double IPA? Is an Imperial doubling both the grain and hops and a double is just hops? I really want to know the difference as I love both styles and am trying to narrow in on my first brew. Appreciate the help and am loving the community and all the great info on here.

They're basically the same thing. As far as I'm aware there is no "official" distinction, however certain breweries or regions might use the terms to mean certain specific differences.

Some places just use whatever term sounds better for whatever name they gave their beer.

They're the same thing. Stronger than regular IPAs. Hopping usually increased to match. Exactly what that means depends on the interpretation of IPA in question. West Coast DIPA/IIPAs might be EXTREMELY bitter. Old school East Coast IPAs (not hazy/NEIPA but the old malt balanced ones) could be borderline Barleywine with a lot of both malt and hop/bitterness. A hazy/NE style DIPA might be very full with absolutely insane levels dry hopping but still low "bitterness" from iso-alphas (though most examples, including the hypey ones, are often so laden with hop burn that they're disgusting but that's my personal opinion, but even if you don't find it off-putting that hop polyphenol burn is a very different and much more unpleasant character than typical West Coast hop bitterness)

man have fun! but what ever you do NEVER brew a "Imp Trippel IPA" lol, i don't think they be any good ;)
An absolutely dank hop bomb sounds good now and then...

Fat Man Little Boy.gif

Back