Can oxidation cause foaming and cloudy beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckinin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a batch of a two hearted clone that turned out great the first time I made it and really bad the next. I think I may have oxidized the second one. New tubing being refusing to uncurl meant that I got more splashing than normal into my bottling bucket when I siphoned from my fermenter.

The taste is not bad like infected bad but there's little hop taste. I guess it could be a wet cardboard taste, but I don't eat too much wet cardboard so it's tough to tell...

The beer is also cloudy after about five weeks in the bottle (Nottingham dry yeast) and many of the bottles have a slow foam out of the bottle when I open them or just a huge head when I pour into a glass. I don't think I over carbonated, I only used about 2.5 oz of corn sugar for 5 gallons to prime. I also waited four weeks to bottle after brewing and hit the fg in the recipe.

I haven't been able to find anything to indicate that oxidation would cause cloudy beer or foam but that seems to be the most likely cause. An infection of some sort is my next guess.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I don't think so. I've gotten oxygenated beer bottles before. But they were clear. They tasted like damp moldy cardboard in a damp basement smells. Nasty. Usually cloudy beer is one that hasn't settled out &/or bottled too early. Or took too long to chill the wort & gets bad chill haze. Can also be caused by not getting good conversion from the mash. That'd be starch haze.

Latest posts

Back